Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really annoying problem as part of my stripdown and recommissioning of my long-dormant DSSA 955i.

I've removed the chain and sprockets ready for replacement. I'm also going to remove the spring & shock to adjust the mount bracket to lower the rear end.

There's a crack in the rear mudguard so I'm trying to remove it to fix it and also leave more room for the rear shock work.

Of course, one of the allen head screws is seized. It's the one on the right at the front underneath the battery tray area. It's impossible to get directly above it to hammer in an over-size torx socket etc to help removal. The photo might imply it's possible, but it's not. I've even tried a cold chisel to drift it round but I'm getting nowhere.

So I wondered if I support the bike under the engine and remove the spring and shock, will the DSSA then articulate down and give me more access to get directly over the allen screw to try and hammer something into it?

Tks

Paul
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorted! Repeated hammerings of a cold chisel at different angles and eventually it turned out! 4 days to undo one nut!

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bet you caught your hand several times on the end of that clip which is around the gas(?) cylinder unit of the rear suspension?

when they fitted that clip in the factory did no one think it’d be in the way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're absolutely right! Ever since I bought the bike 18 years ago, I've repeatedly cut my hand on that clip and keep meaning to cover it with a tie-wrap or similar! It'll be sorted when the shock is taken off and replaced this time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts