Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What up fellas, Need some help with the ole' s3

Have a 1999 s3, 7k miles have riden it for the last 500 miles and every time before it has started fine. One day after riding to meet up with some riders, it would not start back up. When I turn the key on and hit the kill switch, the fuel pump does not come on, headlights, turn signals, and horn do not come on or work. When I hit the starter nothing happens, completely dead. Tried to push start and got a little life but could not get it going and the back tire kept locking up. Tried jumping it and nothing, still dead. Had my test the battery and it checked out to be ok. There are two lights that come on, the netrual light and another one (I forget which) and thats really the only life I can get out of the thing.

My old man has been playing with it for the last several weeks and after slow charging it for a day he got it to crank once but then it went back to nothing after he let off. The temperature gauge was wacked out, pointing to about 2 or 3 oclock when the rage is about 7 to 10 oclock, but it is back to normal now.

The previous owner told me he had the same exact problem and it is the relays under the seat that gets loose. He had one ducted tape, it was the largest one (possibly starter relay?) and I pushed it back together as hard as I can and still nothing. He mentioned something about the aftermarket exhaust (black widow underatil) being wired ****ily by the owner before him that was the reason he had to tape the relay together.

Not sure what the hell is going on with it. I am assuming I will have to take it in to the dealership but I would run it by you guys first.

Any input or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't use the kill switch. Leave it on and use the key as the "on/off" button.

Check all your fuses. I had an issue once that took me 2 weeks to figure out and it ended up being a blown fuse. I did all the other corrective things you speak to, also, because the cause was definitely NOT readily apparent.

If that doesn't work, give me some more details about what the bike does when you've got everything ready to start -- key on, kill switch on, what lights are on, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sudden Death

For your bike so quickly and w/o warning to quit, I'd say you have an electrical issue.

Are you sure about the condition of your battery? If it is on the way out you will get these sort of odd electrical issues. When you turn the key to the on position are you getting good power to the headlights? Nice and bright? Should be, if not your lighting relay or battery is an issue. Did the battery test well under load?

I'd also check the plastic plugs for the relays. Wires can slip out of the plastic plug resulting in a poor connection. Push each wire up in the plastic plug to be sure of a good connection to the relay prongs.

No results, start swapping relays around but be careful, they are not all the same. It would be odd to have two relays go bad at once, so swapping might get you power for starting and identify a dud. Relays can be purchased from automotive parts stores and don't have to be "official Triumph".

Try these suggestions and let us know what happens. Electrical problems can be difficult but not impossible to sort.
Good Luck,
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For your bike so quickly and w/o warning to quit, I'd say you have an electrical issue.

Are you sure about the condition of your battery? If it is on the way out you will get these sort of odd electrical issues. When you turn the key to the on position are you getting good power to the headlights? Nice and bright? Should be, if not your lighting relay or battery is an issue. Did the battery test well under load?

I'd also check the plastic plugs for the relays. Wires can slip out of the plastic plug resulting in a poor connection. Push each wire up in the plastic plug to be sure of a good connection to the relay prongs.

No results, start swapping relays around but be careful, they are not all the same. It would be odd to have two relays go bad at once, so swapping might get you power for starting and identify a dud. Relays can be purchased from automotive parts stores and don't have to be "official Triumph".

Try these suggestions and let us know what happens. Electrical problems can be difficult but not impossible to sort.
Good Luck,
Bill
I appreciate it bill, that is good advice. I did not know that relays (as long as they are the same) are universal. I will probably just take it in, wiring is a b*tch!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh, don't take it in -- use your brain and the excellent knowledge of the gentleman and ladies on this site to resolve your issue. I guarantee you will learn alot and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you get your bike running again. Not to mention you will save money and probably time.

Give us an update on your issue. Have you followed the previous suggestions? What were the results?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up taking it in and I am glad I did. Previous owner did a number on the wiring when he changed out the exhaust. It was a problem with the wiring harness under the tank, apparently the wire was getting pulled out when weight was put on the seat. The mechanic is going to lengthen the wire so hopefully it wont be an issue in the future. Luckily, he has worked on the bike before and knew exactly what was wrong when I called. $70 for labor and I should be rolling again tomorrow.

I appreciate you fellas taking the time to help me troubleshoot, wish you all a great riding season

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your Wiring

I agree that finding wiring issues can be very difficult. As you gain more experience and confidence the last thing you will do is take your bike to someone else. Been there and done that when I had to, but work toward mechanical independence.

Tough to beat the feeling of fixing a problem and taking to redline. Your bike looks great, really pretty. Learn and Love!
Good Riding,
Bill in Montana :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts