Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still looking for some bar risers. Cycle Cat and Gilles seem to be the only ones still available for the 02+ Daytona 955i. Both are pretty pricey, so before spending the money, I would be interested in anyones firsthand experience with installation, set up and use. Fairing and tank clearance issues, etc. Installed pictures would be of particular interest. Anybody out there that are using these? The same info for Helibars would also be of interest in case I would come across a used set somehow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a lot of trouble finding Cyclecat and Helibars recently. (Even ebay didn't have them, what gives?!?) So I bought a set of Convertibars instead. They seem very similar in function to the Cyclecat and Gilles risers but without the elegant machining. Cost was very reasonable compared to the other three. They should arrive in the next fews days, I'll update after installation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
LSL handlebar riser kits....

here's another option to consider.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

One advantage of this arrangement is that it opens up
a whole world of bars--- clubman, pullbacks, superbars,
etc.

I have this kit on my bike and love it. The new top tree is machined and finished to a higher level than the OEM top tree.

LSL, Rizoma, and SkyKing are all top shelf aftermarket parts vendors.

MSL

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMHO the Helis are only slightly better than the stock bars. They flattened out the angle a lot (not so sure that is a good thing) but as far as raising them or moving them closer I don't feel it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heli

Have the Heli's on my 02 Daytona SSA, LOVE EM!

Fully adjustable but have to watch the "PASS" trigger when maneuvering the bike in the garage or lot.

The Heli's really give me a lot of adjustability that the other don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Convertibars

I was curious if you got your convertibars in or not? Have you installed them? Do you like them? Was the installation very hard/time consuming. I just went ahead and ordered some as well after looking at the different options. But now that I ordered them, I am looking at the front forks and wondering how in the world they are going to be installed once I get them. Guess I will have to wait and see. Looks like the top of the triple tree has to come off or something so that you can slide the bar clamps off? Is this hard to do, or am I way off on how it all comes apart? Let me know if you have any experience and how you like your bars if you got them installed.

Thanks,
Static

·
Registered
159 Posts
Static, still no convertibars!! I had to contact them several times to "remember" my order. It's been about a month since I placed my order, they should arrive tomorrow. I'll update when installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope not

I ordered my convertibars a week ago. I sure hope it doesn't take that long to get them. I will call them on Monday and see if they have shipped yet. I need these for a upcoming ride, and probably will not take the Daytona if I can't get them. I sure hope they help. Not sure what my problem is, but ever since I bought and started riding this Daytona (about 3 weeks) i am having bad back and wrist trouble. I ride a Goldwing and a Suzuki RF600. The RF600 gave me a bit of wrist pain, but nothing like the daytona and no back pain at all. I put Helibars on the RF600 and it solved the wrist pain as well. I sure hope the Convertibars do that for the Daytona. I love riding the Daytona, but short rides are making me want to turn around and go back home because of the back and wrist pain. My 30th b-day is around the corner and I certainly don't consider myself old, but this one is messing with my head worst then any previous one... :) Maybe it is all in my head... I just hope I can get it sorted out quickly as i am just iching to ride this thing on some nice longer rides instead of always taking the goldwing. I love the goldwing, but I want to enjoy the thrill of the daytona a little more.

Static

·
Registered
145 Posts
staticman4414 - if you are having pain in the back and wrist, you are supporting your body on the bike wrong.

Quit holding your self up with your arms - there should be no weight on your wrist at all, bend at the elbow at all times - that will solve your wrist pain...
the back pain is caused from slumping over on the bike...

use your core muscles to support your upper body - arch your shoulders and head up when you ride (it will feel like you are sticking your butt out)...it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Convertibars installation notes, pt1

I installed the risers today. Total job was dead simple and took about 2hrs, including a run to the parts store to get a wrench for the top nut.

Bought the kit straight from their website. I didn't opt for longer brake lines. Depending on how much adjustment the stock lines allow, I might buy them later but I'm not looking for a drastic change.

A quick shot of the bike before installation.

In truth, the top nut removal was the hardest part of the whole job. A 36mm socket does the trick, but I used an adjustable wrench.

Before removing the top triple, you need to take out the 8mm bolts locating each clipon. Afterwards, the top brace just slides right off without much effort.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Convertibars installation notes, pt2

A screwdriver and soap was all it took to remove the left grip. Both clipons should slide off easily once the bolts are removed.

A photo of the finished product. I still have some finishing work to do. The kit didn't include a new set of barend weights, and I need to trim the ride-height bars and handlebars as each are a little longer. The current setup is a little flatter and further back than stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the great pictorial instructions. That will help me prep for when I get mine. Let me know how you like them once you get to go out and ride. I called them today to follow up, and I was not impressed. They basically showed my order being placed, but could not tell me anything else about them. They didn't know if they shipped them or not. And they told me there was noone else there that would know anything at the time. They told me they will call back shortly but then never did. I will call them again here in a minute. The customer service is starting to worry me. i order them over a week ago, and they still don't know much about the order kinda scares me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.