Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking getting a Tiger. my budget dictates a used bike. my question is this. what is the diferences in the 955 motors? I have two friends that ride Sprints one is a 2001 the other a 2003. these two motors are almost totaly diferent. the 2001 has notably more vibration, has had charging problems and makes more noise. For the sprints in 2002 or 2003 Triumph redesigned the 955 motor cases and mounted the charging system directly to the crank. and did something for dampening. I belive the 2003 engine has a difernet head as well.

Can anyone shed some light on the technical diferences in the 955 motors used in diferent year model Tigers?

thanks in advance Kelly

·
Registered
922 Posts
the sprint 955 had two 955 engines as you say

the tiger 885i has the older type engine with the piggy-back alternator
all 955i tigers have the crank alternator engine, after 05 the 1050 cases are used

2001-2004 have only minor differances

2005 cast wheels, forks, swing arm

2006 engine cases

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it sounds like the 955 tiger engine is more akin to the second gen Sprint motor.

any gotchas to look out for.. ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kellyk7,

I can’t remember the exact differences, but the 955 engines did get a make over in 2002. I think the cylinder head got some updates and were standardized across the range, and it got a sensor in the exhaust? I believe there were changes to the crank and charging circuits as well, as you mentioned.

It didn’t make much difference to the Tiger, but the Sprint got an extra 10hp.

That’s one of the things about the Triumph range. There do subtle modifications through out the model life. Some are noticeable and some aren’t.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Kellyk7,

I can’t remember the exact differences, but the 955 engines did get a make over in 2002. I think the cylinder head got some updates and were standardized across the range, and it got a sensor in the exhaust? I believe there were changes to the crank and charging circuits as well, as you mentioned.
Come on. Lets get this right.

In 2001 Triumph introduced an all new 955cc engine and the Tiger was the first model to get it in March 2001. This new engine was fitted throughout the range over the next couple of years. The Tiger, however, had a different cylinder head from all the other models in that it had the valve shims on top of the buckets. Every other model had shims under the buckets. So the head was not standard across the range.
The sensor in the exhaust is the Lambda sensor which detects the O2 in the exhaust gases and tells the ECU if the mixture is correct.
Changes to the crank and charging? Well, as it was a completely new engine, I guess that happened.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
As BT says the Tiger got the 955 motor first,the only difference that i've come across between the 2001/4/5 is were you fit the 02 sensor,on my 01 its at the back of the motor,it takes seconds to do,later ones you need to take the tank off,first change was i think 06,the water outlet was moved round the back of the cylinder instead of on the side,and they are supposed to have tinkered with the gearbox.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I saw an '01 Tiger 955i that had different looking engine cases... I think Triumph went from the older sand cast engine cases (ala 2001) to the newer high pressure die cast cases (2002 +). Correct me if I'm wrong.

(personally, I think the older cases looked better, especially with the Triumph badge)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts