Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise on an engine noise from my bike. It's done 85000km so it's getting up there.

The noise is quite a loud clacking noise when the engine gets warm, it occurs at idle or when there is no load on the bike, and typically under 3000 RPM. As soon as you put load on the throttle revving it etc it goes back to the sweet sound of a triple. Clutch in or out makes no difference.

Bike uses about a 1/2 litre of oil every 5000km.

Is it time to do, cam chain, tensioner, guides, rings , liners and valve clearances etc?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
It's way past time to check the valves, anyway. Time to do rings and liners when it starts using six times as much oil as it uses now. Could be a cam chain/tensioner issue, but my first thought is that maybe the early 955s have the same alternator bolt problem as the 885s?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kit, I will take a look at the alternator bolt. It has been making the noise since I bought it about 15000km ago. Strange it does it when it is hot/engine warmed up, like when the oil thins out it starts the rattle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts