Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if the vacuum hose from the middle carb is half severed would cause the fuel to stop flowing from tank to the carbs on the delivery hose. Thought it was electrical. had checked by two shops check. 2nd shop said the in tank filter screen was clogged. I removed the pet cock bolts and found no debris in the tank. thanks Happy riding!

·
Registered
978 Posts
The vacuum hose creates a small amount of negative pressure that opens the fuel tap.
Any loss of vacuum means no fuel will run...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Anybody know if the vacuum hose from the middle carb is half severed would cause the fuel to stop flowing from tank to the carbs on the delivery hose. Thought it was electrical. had checked by two shops check. 2nd shop said the in tank filter screen was clogged. I removed the pet cock bolts and found no debris in the tank. thanks Happy riding!
My diagram shows the vacuum line running from the center cylinder goes to the vacuum supply port on the petcock, so... yes.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The way to be sure is to set the petcock to Prime; that should flow fuel with or without vacuum, as opposed to On or Reserve, which will only flow fuel when vacuum is applied. You'll also want to be sure your knob is actually turning the stem underneath it. (And hey, while you have the knob off, you may as well fill in those voids in the back with some JB Weld or epoxy...)

Anyway... As previously stated, the short answer is "yes." :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
The petcock needs the vacuum hose from the carb to make the fuel flow. Kit has a very good idea in filling in the voids on the back of the knob, cause it will break eventually.
(And hey, while you have the knob off, you may as well fill in those voids in the back with some JB Weld or epoxy...)

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
If you had 2 shops look at the electrics and didn't fix the hose you know is "half severed"?

Is this a trick question?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way to be sure is to set the petcock to Prime; that should flow fuel with or without vacuum, as opposed to On or Reserve, which will only flow fuel when vacuum is applied. You'll also want to be sure your knob is actually turning the stem underneath it. (And hey, while you have the knob off, you may as well fill in those voids in the back with some JB Weld or epoxy...)

Anyway... As previously stated, the short answer is "yes." :D

Cheers,
-Kit
Hey Kit,
thanks for the info. and others too, I thought something was up when I removed the tank with lots of gas in it, turning the valve didn't all fuel to come out when I went to drain the tank. Didn't think to rotate the valve to main fuel. Guess that should have given me the indication something was up. ,my cap was already broken when I bought it. I just leave it open to reserve I think, w/ set flat side of petcock up when riding.
cheers, man. ride on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts