Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I titled this string right, but I'm not refering to the tensioner blade. It's a rubbing blade or guide on the opposite side of the tensioner.
Mine's Broken. I found two pieces under the timing (crank) cover. The top part is still attached, and I can't get it out.
Do I have to remove the head?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Front Cam Chain Tensioner

Yes, you will have to remove the cylinder head. Only the rear blade can be replaced without removing the head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cam chain guide block

Had the same problem on my 97 thunderbird. Removed the Head and replaced the guide block and some other bits. Put over 3000 miles on since the repair and she runs good as new. If you decide to do the repair yourself and have any questions drop me a line.

Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey ozjimmy,

Just what is involved in "resealing the piston liners"? My 95 TBird started making loud noises, and denny (from this site) indicated it coule be the tensioner as well - which if I am unlucky may also require the head to be pulled.

I assume first I gotta drop the engine, or can it be done in place?

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry mate, I have been using the bike and spending less time in front of a screen. But it's not that hard, I did it with the motor in the frame. Just remember to keep all the shims from valves in order they came out. That way you can turn the head over and clean the clyinder head surface. the liners came out with a little persistance and pulling, then it's just about getting it all clean and in the same order. Use blue hylomar and let it cure for about 10-15min before putting liners back in. They slip straight over the pistons very easy.Then put the head back on do the bolts up in the recommended way. I had to leave two bolts in the head cos the frame was in the way. If I get the time and money I might do it again, but this time I would recoil all the cam caps. and hone the linners and put new rings in. With all the parts you could do it in a weekend with a few mates and a few beers. Goodluck. I have a manual so ask questions and I'll be happy to help if I can. I posted pic's just serch for posts by me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts