Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,
Following up on my much earlier thread, alot has occured-and thank's for the 2 responses. Since last thread my T-bird has received: new sprag clutch (51 tooth-a story I'll get to). Of course, that required complete disassembly. I went from the top as I was sure I also had internal engine problems. Didn't! Oh well...went back together with new headgasket kit, misc. seals and gaskets, oil and filter. Also, for fun!? 3 Nology coils and a set of Nology wires, just to see. I had a bad wire and they were cheaper then factory. Plus, they're cool looking with the major ground strap and all. It has 3 loose springs on the clutch basket-went back together with it-Triumph wants $600+ just for the basket! I'll live with a little clutch grab. But when started I was still missing #3 cylinder!

Back apart came the carbs as an infrared temp gauge showed #3 exhaust pipe cold, and a little gas down the throat of #3 while running would bring it to life. Keep in mind, I've already gone thru the carbs maybe 3 times! This time out came the jet reams-these carbs are not going to get the best of me! I did not expect the amount of varnish in all-mains, emulsion tube and pilots! After reaming out the varnish she's a happy T-bird! Starts on 1st crank, idles, likes to run! She still has lots of stuff needed (thanks bro!), but after riding her the 1st time I'm won over! But, there is a lesson...

Sprag clutch-ordered new at Triumph dealer using engine #, received the clutch, wouldn't fit. Count teeth, mine has 51, new has 53. Call my guy, tell him, he goes thru anxiety before reordering the proper sprag. Long week later, go to dealer to pick up right part. Part tag has 51 teeth on it, part number is right-oh heck, let's count the teeth...1,2,3,...52,53! 2nd new part, marked totally as 51, has 53! The guys get on the phone, call the guru on the East Coast-low and behold I have a 51 tooth sprag in my hand next day! So, the lesson is, COUNT THE DAMN TEETH! I had to learn to count to 53! At my age that's tough!

Lastly, DO NOT SIT ON THE ROCKET UNLESS YOU PLAN ON BUYING IT! How do I explain to the wife that the T-bird grew?

OK-there's more to write but this damn thread is too long already! Until next visit...cheers!

Kevin

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Also, for fun!? 3 Nology coils and a set of Nology wires, just to see. I had a bad wire and they were cheaper then factory. Plus, they're cool looking with the major ground strap and all.
Kevin,

How did you route the Nology wires? I ordered a set of coils and wires, but the wires were some 4" too long. I tried a number of different routes, but I couldn't come up with a decent looking installation that would allow the (cheesy little) cap to seal the plug tunnel. Perhaps I got the wrong wires?:confused: (The package was marked "Triumph 3") Also, where did you terminate the ground strap? Picture perhaps?

best regards,
Ted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Title-do I need to put a title?

Hey Ted,

OK-1st- that cheesy little guy appears to be a VW plug connector seal used on air cooled VW (and Porsche if you will). The wires are long, but they loop OK. Once the tank and covers are on you don't notice. I put #1 ground to the existing ground, left side of frame, by the coolant reservoir. #2 & 3 I put to the right side of the frame, I think on one of the coil mounting screws. Kinda the one that they both loop to. I'm at work, the bike's home, so no pictures today. Be sure to sand the ground contacts clean, no paint. If you have dielectric grease laying around, smear some over the finished ground contact and put a little in each plug connector. Also, put the little caps on the plugs BEFORE you install the plugs. Otherwise, use a piece of hose to install the caps (if your plugs don't already have them!)

They seem to work well-I've got absolutely no ignition break down. I haven't put a visual tester on a plug yet, I'd rather be riding, but it fires immediately! I like that.

Enough for now,

Ciao.

Kevin

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have Nology wires on my 95 Speed Triple. I think all the wires are he same length so all the plugs recieve the same amount of spark (That is just an assumption) They are a bit of a pain but with a little creativity and trial and error they can be made to fit well. I put my ground straps on the frame on an empty boss right above the head.

If you think sitting on a Rocket makes you want one then definatly do not ride one!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts