Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has had similar issue?

I just bought 95 Tbird and the engine runs really nice when the engine is cold. I´m also new to these "modern" Triumphs. However, after 10-15 km riding the engine stops even during riding. Or if I have stopped the engine for a while it doesn´t start again. There is power in all electrical devices and starter is running normally but the engine doesnt crank. It behaves like it´s ran out of gas, but it´s not.

After about 1 hr cooling the ignition works fine and the engine is running properly. Strange. First thing was to change spark blugs. Didn´t help. Cables seems to be fine and they are not getting hot.

Can you comment me on these guesses?
1- CDI box failure (expensive..) doesn´t seem to be the cause, since everthing works fine when the engine is cold.
2- Iginition sensor failure makes sense. When it gets hot it sends wrong pulses to CDI. My guess number one.
3- Maybe it is not electronical problem even though it seems to be somewhere in ignition. ??
4- Something wrong with gasoline feeding system? What component could heat too much??

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sounds like an electrical component with internal breakage that shorts when the temp reaches a certain level. Once cool enough, the parts shrink back enough to make contact again.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A bit quick to click post...

You can use a spray to cool component by component to see what will bring it back to life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does it take a full hour to cool down to re-fire?

It sounds like a bad pickup sensor but in my experience it didn’t take an hour to cool down before a restart. How does it stall out? Is it a sudden loss of power or does it start to drop cylinders, lose power then stall?

When you say the engine doesn’t crank do you mean the starter doesn’t turn it over or it turns over but seems like it has no spark?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kyllä se on ertsi toi pick-up coil /ignition sensor, mun edellisessä pyörässä kärvähti toi kans ja aivan samanlaiset oireet. Helppo vaihtaa, palikka maksaa n.80€

and my answer is . . pick-up coil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it take a full hour to cool down to re-fire?

It sounds like a bad pickup sensor but in my experience it didn’t take an hour to cool down before a restart. How does it stall out? Is it a sudden loss of power or does it start to drop cylinders, lose power then stall?

When you say the engine doesn’t crank do you mean the starter doesn’t turn it over or it turns over but seems like it has no spark?
Power loss is quite sudden. It may drop some cylinder before the engine is dead, but all happens within some seconds. Starter is turning and it feels that there is no spark nor fuel. Hard to explain specific, but the feeling is actually the same when you are starting the enginen without fuel.

Pickup sensor maybe the one. Do you have any experience on ignition coil? Could it be the reason for this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kyllä se on ertsi toi pick-up coil /ignition sensor, mun edellisessä pyörässä kärvähti toi kans ja aivan samanlaiset oireet. Helppo vaihtaa, palikka maksaa n.80€

and my answer is . . pick-up coil
Yes, thanks. Kiitos. Grazie.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
+1 ignitor pick up coil - classic symptoms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The winner seems to be pick-up coil. Thanks guys. :) I will get back to the issue if that fix doesn´t fix the problem.

This forum is really working!

·
Registered
518 Posts
wait a minute!!..backup the applecart...after it stalls, take off the gas cap, if you get a whoosh...then the vent is plugged and stopping the fuel flow, if it fires up right after the cap is temporary removed ,then we have a winner.... (just my 2 cents).....both my bikes have a clear inline fuelfilter, then if i ever have "an issue" it only takes a quick glance to see if theres any fuel in line when there should be .......Tom

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
wait a minute!!..backup the applecart...after it stalls, take off the gas cap, if you get a whoosh...then the vent is plugged and stopping the fuel flow, if it fires up right after the cap is temporary removed ,then we have a winner.... (just my 2 cents).....both my bikes have a clear inline fuelfilter, then if i ever have "an issue" it only takes a quick glance to see if theres any fuel in line when there should be .......Tom
If fuel flow is restricted enough to need another hour to refill the float bowls, I doubt he's get 10-15 km down the road. Also, this will let the engine die out more slowly instead of just cutting out. Although not to be ruled out completely, I find it unlikely that restricted fuel flow is the culprit here.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Certainly worth a try on the cap as it costs nothing, and I would do so if you havent checked already - but I think its more likely that its the pickup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1995, but like others said, I would only need to let the bike cool down for 5 minutes or so, then she would start right up and be fine for 5-10 minutes, before dying on me again.

$75 for a new pickup sensor and the bike is perfect !!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had the same prob on my bike once. Pick up sensor was NOT the issue - just needed a good carb cleaning. Those darned Wisconsin winters did it again...
I would think dirty carbs would present a constant problem, and not show symptoms only when the bike reaches temperature, then disappear when the bike cools down.

gotta love these british bikes !!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I would think dirty carbs would present a constant problem, and not show symptoms only when the bike reaches temperature, then disappear when the bike cools down.

gotta love these british bikes !!
Well, the Mikuni carbs are Japanese.... as are the Keihins.

All I can figure is that I had a blockage in one of the ports in the carb that caused some sort of vapor lock. Mine started out as a hard starting issue - wouldn't start for 30 minutes after being parked (hot). It then moved on to conking out after the bike warmed up, usually at a stoplight or idling in traffic. I had a spare ignition pickup in my spare engine, so the first thing I tried was swapping that out...

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the Mikuni carbs are Japanese.... as are the Keihins.

All I can figure is that I had a blockage in one of the ports in the carb that caused some sort of vapor lock. Mine started out as a hard starting issue - wouldn't start for 30 minutes after being parked (hot). It then moved on to conking out after the bike warmed up, usually at a stoplight or idling in traffic. I had a spare ignition pickup in my spare engine, so the first thing I tried was swapping that out...

Good luck!
Ignition sensor (aka pick-up coil) was the winner. It took a while to get it, but now the engine is working like it should be. Thank you for all the help!

Btw, any suggestion on getting better sounds to tbird?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Ignition sensor (aka pick-up coil) was the winner. It took a while to get it, but now the engine is working like it should be. Thank you for all the help!

Btw, any suggestion on getting better sounds to tbird?
LOTS of options there, but that is a subject for a new thread.... :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts