Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Triumph's and my motor is not charging. Any suggestions or directions on what I should be looking for and what the fix is?

Also, my petcock is leaking, is there a kit to fix it or do I need to buy another?

Many thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Not being completely familiar with the D1200, I'm not sure. My advice from working on jetskis is to buy a manual and start checking your resistence trends on your connectors with an ohmeter. There will be a certain range of ohms that are acceptable and if any of your charging system connections are outside of those parameters, that's your problem. Sounds complicated but it's a cinch, really.

My WAG of your problem is the stator, if it is just out-right not charging. Now, if it charges while running and the battery will not hold a charge, that's different (could be about a dozen things). Your best bet is to get a decent ohmeter and get to checking. :-D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take it you mean the battery is not charging?
Fault could be fuse, alternator, wiring , bad connection in charging circuit.
to check alternator (has integral regulator like a car)
run engine output should be appprox 14 -15 volts dc @ 4000rpm Measured across the battery.
Hope this helps

[ This message was edited by: rammstien on 2007-01-08 15:43 ]

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
nydesmo,
I had a leaky petcock too... saw the doctor and he fixed me right up...

but seriously you'd be better off replacing the entire assembly. There are two flat rubber gaskets (called oil seals) inside the petcock, 2 sealing washers under the 2 bolts holding the petcock to the tank and a spring washer behind the fuel tap knob. I tried replacing the gaskets in mine but I could never get it to stop leaking. It was hard to say where it was leaking from, I could never tell. I ended up replacing the whole assembly and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Anyways good luck with it.

dc

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-01-09 00:11 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts