Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 ST with aftermarket straight bars. I am thinking of returning them back to the original clip-ons, however, at £140 a pair, I want to make sure there are no alternatives.
I have seen plenty of aftermarket clip-ons for sale at a more reasonable price, but I once read somewhere that the ST clip-ons were not a standard fit. Something to do with a clip or tag at the point of fixing.
I have no way of getting a look at the original bars, and therefore was wondering if somebody could confirm if the OEM clip-ons are indeed different to aftermarket clip-ons.

I also wanted to ask if anybody had changed from the Clip-ons to straight/crosser bars?
I ask this because I am more than happy with the handling of the bike as it is, and only want to revert to the Clip-ons for aesthetic reasons. Obviously, I expect the handling to be very different anbd wondered if somebody could give a direct comparison?

Cheers for any information.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
G'day Highside,

I'm a bit confused, '94 ST? I'm guessing you mean a '94 Sprint or an "04 ST?

Can you confirm your bike model/year and maybe post up a pic of your set-up, it will help us to help you.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Oh doh!

Its 5.30am here, I'm a bit fuzzy.

Highside, I'm using Tommaselli clip-ons on my Sprint. They are available in 43mm but may have to be a special order from the factory in Italy.

The are multi adjustable and come with a little riser that can be taken off if you desire.

I had mine mounted below the triple tree for a while with the riser installed. I now have them mounted above the triple tree without the riser, I really like this set-up, not quite as low and still looks good.

The Tommaselli's are quality kit, all polished aluminium and very attractive. The adjustability is the great feature with these bars.

They cost me $240AUD about a year ago and are well worth the money IMHO.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
826 Posts
a few people recently have vested an interest in putting risers with straight bars on their t3's.
try doing a search, and see if any of them would be willing to perform a swap of their standard for your straights

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a few people recently have vested an interest in putting risers with straight bars on their t3's.
try doing a search, and see if any of them would be willing to perform a swap of their standard for your straights

That is a good idea, althought the riser on the bike is in need of repainting/powder coating to tidy it up a bit.

I am also interested in the handling changes. This is really what is stopping buying the OEM clip-ons. The handling with the crosser bars is great, and as I often commute, the more upright position lends itself to filtering. I would hate to put the clip-ons on and find the handling is not as good. But I guess that is the chance I would have to take if I went down the 'aesthetics' route.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Clip-ons will definitely give a more aggressive position, your bike will be more weighted in the front end, I think handling is enhanced with the sportier stance. As far as commuting is concerned, it may be a tad more difficult than you are experiencing now.

Comfort will be sacrificed to a degree, you will have to learn to hold your weight off your wrists with your torso and legs. If you lean on your wrists you will be hurting very quickly!

I personally like the clip-ons for the sporty attitude but then I don't commute nor do I do many long trips.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Or put the standard clip ons above the top yoke ;-)
Thats what I have done and the comfort level is alot better and you don't sacrifice the sporty look.

Do you think you might do that with the S3 Mot? Nah, that would be sacrilegious!

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up on the Ebay link Mot, I won the item for a good price.:D
If they work out as planned, I'll buy you a beer next time I am down your way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Clip-ons arrived yesterday. One had a slight bend, but very slight, and this was mentioned in the item description.
I dropped them off with Maidstone Motoliner yesterday and will be picking them up today.
Now all I have to do is get a few bits (grips etc) and hopefully fit them sometime next week.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts