Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anybody have any tips on how to separate the airbox? I have a new k&n sitting here but can't break this old airbox open. All screws are removed other than the stainless 4 and these just spin and spin..............

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Personally, I would return the K&N and buy a new airbox. Triumph designed these to be disposable, and if the inserts the screws screw into are spinning the plastic is probably not far from crumbling.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dremel worked like a charm, the box is still in good condition and I'm thinking the K&N will save alot of coin down the road. Those airboxs are not cheap.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hi Daniel, I used some little rubber plugs from the hardware store to plug up the side holes. Now do yourself a favor and cut the back half of the air box vertically in the middle. The bottom screw is in the middle, add a washer to that screw to help secure both sides. 3 screws on top, 2 screws plus the middle is enough to hold it securely. No more taking off the carbs to get the air box off. It makes putting on the carbs so much easier also. What ever air that may leak thru the slice will still have to go thru the air filter. Or put some sealer of your choice on the slice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you wash the original foam filter in warm, soapy water, then lightly oil it and reinstall it, it works perfectly fine!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Air Filter

If you wash the original foam filter in warm, soapy water, then lightly oil it and reinstall it, it works perfectly fine!

I have done the same and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I just replace the air box. That's the way they were designed. The last one I bought was only $38. I think the Sprint version was a little more. My time is worth more than the $$ saved screwing around with an old piece of plastic. I don't feel the K&N filters out the fine stuff well enough anyhow. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Air box

I like to screw around with old plastic, mostly because it can save me $40.00 bucks. X3 = $120.00:grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts