Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, one of the two wires poking out of the right engine cover is leaking oil. The oils is coming out at the point where the skinny wire goes into the sleeve.

Any one have any ideas for a quick fix? I'm planning to start my cross country trip next Wednesday, and I don't know if I can get into the dealer before then.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
how much oil are we talking about here? It can't be much.

To do it right, you'll have to pull the cover (alternator cover) and dab a little RTV around the plastic/rubber seal that seals the wire through the cover. That will mean getting a new gasket for the alternator cover as well.

It isn't a difficult task, the only tool you'll need is an 8mm socket, it's just a matter of getting the gasket before you leave town. Your dealer should have that gasket in stock, if not try South Bay Triumph/TPUSA, they always have the gaskets I need in stock. Even from Texas, I get them 2-3 days later.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much oil are we talking about here? It can't be much.

To do it right, you'll have to pull the cover (alternator cover) and dab a little RTV around the plastic/rubber seal that seals the wire through the cover. That will mean getting a new gasket for the alternator cover as well.

It isn't a difficult task, the only tool you'll need is an 8mm socket, it's just a matter of getting the gasket before you leave town. Your dealer should have that gasket in stock, if not try South Bay Triumph/TPUSA, they always have the gaskets I need in stock. Even from Texas, I get them 2-3 days later.
Sweat,

Thanks for the info. I'm not losing a lot of oil, but I really can't be sure. I'm just bummed that my bike, with less than 5K, is leaking oil.

·
30,523 Posts
You'll probably need a gasket scraper too - the gaskets installed at the factory are glued down, so you'll need to clean the sealing surfaces properly or else you'll have a worse leak than you have now.

You can use a razor blade for that job, but it is easy to scratch the surface of the metal, so I prefer a proper scraper - I seem to be able to control it better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts