Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ove the summer I occasionaly heard a clunk while starting my bike from cold, now today ive been out and took it out of the garage and tried to start it (its been about 2 weeks since last starting it) and all i get now is a loud clunk everytime and it wont start. Please tell me its a simple problem (you can always hope).

Any ideas

Ash

·
Registered
367 Posts
A loud clunk ?? A loud clunk and no engine movement could be a bad start relay, or even the starter solenoid not completing the circuit.

I would start with making sure the battery is completely charged ( it may be strong enough to engage the starter but not turn the engine over). The change in the weather will make a battery and electrical system work harder. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

The start relay should then be checked for resistance. Remove the 2 large cables from the relay and using an Ohm meter engage the relay with the starter button and check for a high resistance.
While you have the larger cables off check the resistance thruogh the cables.

Strat with that. and let's see what happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi

I have jsut tried again after charging the battery and putting a different batteyr on with the same results. The engine turns over but does seem a little slow. I have had the starter re conditioned in the summer and its been fine. When you press the start button it turns over maybe 4 or 5 times then clunks and will clunk each tike after that and getting progressivley worse. Is this the dreaded Sprag problem. If its is I gues im not that unlucky to have a very early engine with the cover on the top of the crank case and dont need to seperate the cases to repair that. Or am I just assuming the worst.

Ash

·
Registered
367 Posts
Fortunately i have not suffered the dreaded sprague problem (touch wood) so i know little about that. It may seem a little a strange but, what issue did you have with the starter originally ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slow cranking or none at all was the original problem, I suppose getting the starter checked again wont be a bad thing and would at least eliminate it (even though its a sod to get out)

Ash

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right it looks like im going to have to take the engine apart, possibly luckily I have the early engine with the inspection cover on top of the crank case and can get to the sprag that way. My only worry is that I have heard you need to machine the casing to get the new type of sprag in and was wondering if anyone had any pictures, tips or advice on how this job is done. I would really like to get it done sooner rather thatn later as my track record or taking things to bits and never rebuilding them is quite eveident when you look around my garage.

Thanks again

Ash

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lucky Day

Good Evening.

It seems to be your lucky day. I just did the same job on a buddy's 1994 trident. It too had the access panel for the aux. gears. I just signed up for triumphrat a few minutes ago so I don't know how this works. Do you send me a message? Or are we supposed to exchange email addresses here? Let me know. I will be getting the gaskets and bearinga necessary to put it back together in a day. My friend had it sitting in his garage open for five years so I needed to do a little extra work. The bike showed up in boxes. He bought the sprag clutch but none of the local mechanics wanted to do the job and so it sat. I made a tool up that had it done in about 15 minutes. I can take pictures of it if you wish. All stuff you can find at your local hardware store. It gently grinds the casing away in a perfect circle just like the sprag. The hard part was keeping the bottom of the engine free of debree. I'll have pics in a day when I put it back together. Adam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Evening.

It seems to be your lucky day. I just did the same job on a buddy's 1994 trident. It too had the access panel for the aux. gears. I just signed up for triumphrat a few minutes ago so I don't know how this works. Do you send me a message? Or are we supposed to exchange email addresses here? Let me know. I will be getting the gaskets and bearinga necessary to put it back together in a day. My friend had it sitting in his garage open for five years so I needed to do a little extra work. The bike showed up in boxes. He bought the sprag clutch but none of the local mechanics wanted to do the job and so it sat. I made a tool up that had it done in about 15 minutes. I can take pictures of it if you wish. All stuff you can find at your local hardware store. It gently grinds the casing away in a perfect circle just like the sprag. The hard part was keeping the bottom of the engine free of debree. I'll have pics in a day when I put it back together. Adam
That is absolutley amazing, ive bene looking around the net for any help on this and have found plenty of information about the fault but none on how to repair it properly. Any information and pictures etc would be very much appreciated as I want to get hte bike back on the rooad as soon as I can. You can email me directly no problem at all its ashley . holmes @ dur.ac.uk (just take the spaces out) or just post here. There is a time difference obviously between us but ill check and look for your posts. Once again thankyou for replying and hopefully we dcan keep anothet Triumph on the road.

Cheers

Ash

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after a bit of work I now have the problem sorted, it was the sprag clutch that had gone which made me think about just scrapping the bike or breaking it for spares but thanks to the information and help I got from Yellowtiger I have replaced the sprag clutch myself and can honestly say its not as big a job as people think. I just want to thank Adam (Yellowtiger) here on the forum for the information he sent me and the help via email because without him I dare say I would not have started the job. There seems to be very little info on doing this job on the net but if anyone needs any information or advice on doing this on early model bikes then get in touch and im more that willing to help others out like I was helped by Adam. Incedentaly Triumph wanted £750 to do this job and it ended up costing me £208 which was the new sprag and all the gaskets oils and filters that I needed so im very happy.

Ash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Please post details on the forum for others if you get a spare minute - sounds like helpful advice which could be shared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sprag repair tool video

Hi Gamsa.

Here is a link to the video I made for dcl5ah. Hope you don't mind that I jumped in here, dcl5ah. I was sent an email that someone posted a reply.

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-the-t3-classics/92301-sprag-clutch-replacement.html

If it doesn't work try just doing a search for my screen name and video. 'yellowtiger sprag video' The video was made after I did the work and began putting it back together. I didn't have to split my case because of the access panel on the top. The only problem I encountered was keeping the bottom of the engine clean as I ground down the case. I covered the transmission gears and set up a vacuum to keep most of it from falling below. Then I took off the oil pan and flushed the bottom end like crazy. Obvioulsy, if you have to split the case you wouldn't need the vacuum set up and could just wash it when done (since the gears are already out).

Hope this helps. And good luck.
YellowTiger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts