Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annybody have ideas of where emblems or decals can be found? I am looking for something I saw on one of the sites that had "904 GT" on the side covers. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I haven't seen any for sale, but I'm sure any sign or graphics place could make you some.

I was thinking about (after doing the 904 of course) getting 904 waterjet cut out of my side covers, then putting a piece of chrome or something behind it, maybe perforated steel.

or making my own side covers with 904 cut out of them, polished aluminum or something.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey sweat....bumping your bonnie from 865 to 904 seems like a bunch of work for such a small increase, don't you think. Don't they make a 994cc kit or something like that? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
well, it isn't much of a displacement gain, I agree. It is beneficial b/c you go from 9.2-1 compression to 10.5-1 which is where the hp and tq comes from. Another benefit is the forged pistons.

I'm breaking it down to install larger valves and the "big" bore kit, and also do a port/polish on the head.

904cc is the biggest you can go without a complete engine teardown to machine the cases.

Here's why I think the 994 kit is f*cked:
-way too oversquare to be streetable for a long time
-british customs rip-off pricing
-questionably small amount of material left in cylinder walls between the pistons and cam chain

I'm not doing the 904 for the displacement, but for the compression and forged pistons.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Makes sense.....my friends and I have often discussed how the Bonneville should be a much faster bike as it is. My pal has a '71 bonneville that's faster than his '01.....huh?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Also, the twin counterbalancers in the new engines take up some of the power too. My dealership also told me that the camshaft backlash retaining mechanism is worth about one horsepower, but I doubt that's dyno proven.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't forget how lightweight the old Bonnie was.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
On 2006-12-04 16:32, Thunder_Forever wrote:
Makes sense.....my friends and I have often discussed how the Bonneville should be a much faster bike as it is. My pal has a '71 bonneville that's faster than his '01.....huh?
A 1971/650 Bonnie and a 2001/790 Bonnie.
No way would it be faster. maybe if his 2001 is a lemon
or Maybe if the 71 is supped up.

My 2001 is way quicker then any of my older Bonnies.
I can ride my new bonnie at 80,90,100,mph all day.
I bring my 76/750 bonnie up to 90 mph. and she feels
like she's ready to throe a rod.
Bill

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered a couple of mylar decals from Decal Zone. Crossed racing flags with "904 GT" lettered on them in black and white. I will let you guys know how they look when they get here. I'm hoping all I have to do is put them on the side covers and the bike will get much faster!

·
Registered
835 Posts
So far, I've racked up three speeding tickets with a bike that is 790cc......904cc would not be beneficial to my budget, or my moto endorsement....wish me luck at court on Friday.

·
Registered
835 Posts
On 2006-12-05 09:25, sweatmachine wrote:
whatever it takes to learn your lesson...
Believe me.....the last and final ticket has turned me into a turtle on the road lately. My biggest problem is that I like to be in front of the cars instead of next to them to stay out of harm's way and it takes some speeding up to do so.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Funny your mentioning this. I bought the Bonneville cause it was tamer than the other suspects and I KNOW my right wrist has a tendency to think on its own and I needed something that would be less prone to get me pulled.

Now all I do is think of ways to make it faster. Maybe my wrist is not the problem.

Anyhow, it is better to tap all you can out of the Bonnie and occasionally use it as opposed to owning a Hyabusa and trying to stay at the posted limits. Plus cool factor...........not that I need help there or anything.

I did like the idea of cutting out the side cover and laying some mesh or such behind. Kinda Zard-like.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow...I know what you mean about wanting to be in front of cars. I'd rather ride aggresively, or maintain a high profile as I like to say, and get a ticket, than get smeared across the pavement b/c I was in some cager's blind spot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
On 2006-12-05 12:27, bonnevillebilly wrote:
SO, WHAT WOULD GT STAND FOR ON A BONNIE???????????
BILL
All I can think of is Gran Turismo...which really wouldn't apply to the bike at all.

How about.......Gifted and Talented!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts