Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All

Just over here from Sprint land with a question. Have an 00 Sprint ST and I think WE have reached the limits of its touring ability. Triumph have made the ST1050 less pillion friendly than the 955 so it looks like its out. The FJR is good but .. well... it has a pipe and slippers feel about it. And its expensive. So what do I do. Well I have noticed a couple of low mileages Trophies around, both 900 and 1200.
Its a bit of "forward to the past" in some respects but I am a Triumph fan and would love to stay faithful. With a Trophy I might be able to keep the ST as well.

There seems to be the odd really good example of both models around here in Oz, although both are rare in late model form.

My questions:

1.900 or 1200
2.Would the 900 be a bit well ... slow.. after the 955i.
3.How do they both compare to say an FJR (ST1300 is much to lardy for me) for touring, performance, handling etc.
4. For anyone in Oz is 11.5K for a 2001 T900, (first reg 2003) really too much even if it has quite a few extras and reasonably low kms.
5. Any problems I should look for

Tks in advance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would consider the 1200 is the the way to go for regular 2 up long distance touring, more horsepower and torque is always good, and it can match any of the latest sports tourers in all aspects that are important to a rider and passenger. I think the Triumph company made a mistake in not upgrading the Trophy range but evidently there were not enough of us buying new bikes for Triumph to continue the Trophy. (Typical pom thinking as in the past they made great bikes and sports cars and yet could not keep their market as they failed to constantly improve the models.) I will be bringing mine home someday and intend to keep it longterm as they are a well engineered motorcycle suitable for sports or touring activities and their appearence is one that will not age quickly. :cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are some opinions that were posted on 2006-05-26 on the issue of 900 versus 1200. Some time ago I did a power to weight comparison between the Trophy 1200 / FJR 1300 / ST 1300 and the Trophy is still right there with the others even though the Trophy is lower in total power / torque it is also lower in total weight by about 55 lbs. :-D

·
Registered
338 Posts
A$11500.00 for a 2001 model 900 ? On the current exchange rate of .78 that is about US$8950.00 and about twice what they sell for over here. Find someone to import one for you !!! and pay the duty and freight and still be well ahead :cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Try Better Bikes in Sydney, as they are advertising on the Trading Post web site, they have a Silver 1998 Trophy 1200 with 38,800 km with 3 bags for $8990 :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
After riding the ST, FJR, a Trophy 900 and a 1200, I would stick to my Trophy 1200. The FJR will leave the Trophy behind, but I felt more comfortable in the twisties with my Trophy than any of these mentioned. The Trophy slices through the twisties. I have to replace alen heads from time to time because the bike can be leaned beyound the bodywork and still hold the road. Those allehead bolts grind down quick and are a pain to remove once flat. Granted I have upgraded the front suspesion, but it is the best over all bike of he 3 to me. Also, the Trophy seemed much more comfortable for time in the saddle than the FJR..

The Honda ST is a great intro to Goldwings kind of bike, but seemed like a cow, comfortable cow, but cow none the less. BMW's sport tourers that I have ridden seemd the most sluggish of the bunch. So I'll take the Trophy anyday.

As far as the 900/1200 issue. I really didn't notice much difference riding solo with no luggage. The 900 didn't feel any lighter in the curves but also didn't feel much less powered than the 1200 in the straights. I have heard that the power difference is felt in 2 up luggage loaded touring. But unloaded the 900's front wheel lifted as easily as the 1200's.

I have ridden with guys on just about everytype of sport touring bike out there and have never been left behind. Closest I ever came to being left behind was with a friend who has been riding as long as I have and was on a newer Honda SuperHawk. He was giving me a serious run for my money. He would have won had it been a point to point race, but I was right with him the whole time. We left one of our buddies behind who was riding a CBR. I don't think he was as comfortable in the twisties or he would have been raggin us in the end.

Over all, the Trophy is the best bike I have owned and there is nothing I want to replace it with. I do want to give the new Concours 1400 a go when it come out though. Looks like a fun ride. A buddy of mine has gone through 3 bikes now trying to find one he likes as much as the Trophy. Said he dosn't want to buy a Trophy since I am about the only person he rides with and he doesn't want us to look like twinkies. ha

A

·
0 Posts
I haven't had experience with the other bikes you mention, but I do have a 1999 Trophy 1200 that I got from a coworker in May of 2005. $3900 with 11K miles and a full set of 3 panniers on it. The downside was an engine dropout issue. But the tinkering part of it is something I like, so I took it on anyways.

Getting close to 20K now (unfortuneately work and family obligations kept me off it for most of this year), but these are my impressions if you find them useful.

I was a returning rider and my preferences are kind of old school. I like a standard riding position. Cruisers don't fit (6' 2" 230 lbs). I'm 45 with a wife and kids, so I'm not interested in beating every school kid to the next corner. I like to be able to load up with gear and take an extended spin (I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia), preferably with my wife who is not too thrilled with my hobby. I like a good fairing. And I'm an engine engineer for heavy trucks, so I'm not afraid to turn a wrench.

In short, I love the bike. Commuted daily with it for a time (100 mile round trip) and it's strong and quite stable, even in the severe crosswinds we get here every spring. It's been through rain and 0 degree C temperatures with no electrical accessories and only moderate suffering. It'll take my wife and I for a comfy day out in the West Virginia mountains without scaring her to death. It's tall and well suited to my proportions.

Downsides are a pretty demanding maintenance schedule, only 6 K between valve tweaks (the FJR is 24K), carbs, and chain drive. Also no heated grips or accessory plugs (I'll probably add eventually).

And I still haven't nailed the dropout issue. It's gotten better with carb work, a new petcock, and an ignition pickup ($200 invested to date), but it still hasn't gone for good. My original suspicion of coils was never acted on since they're friggin $300-400 a pair from the dealer and one dealer that did a machine diagnostic told me the coils checked OK but the pickup was bad. Coming here, I've learned that a couple Nology's seem to be in order over the winter.

Still, she's never stranded me.

I've considered trading the Trophy for another bike now that I've got more experience with what I like in a machine. The problem is, nothing else has more. I'd just be spending a bunch to take on other short comings.

I'm moving a couple miles in February and will, for the first time in my life, inherit an actual garage to keep the bike (currently in a 12x12 storage shed) so the mechanical work will become much easier. And my wife's pretty comfortable with the Trophy. Actually kind of likes to share a long ride.

Overall, put me in the catagory of people who would love to see Triumph update this bike. In the meantime, I envision riding her until she rots off the frame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Trophy...great bike,, can not go wrong with the 3 or 4 cylinder.......but for touring comfort,,,why not a Rocket III ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts