Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three options..

1. Trailer the bike.
2. Ride the bike there and ship extra gear (not a good idea read on)
3. Leave it home.

Its going to be a APR to MAR thing..

I'm not to crazy about the unpredictable Apr weather for the trip out..

If it were later in the year and/or I did'nt need so much gear with me for training I would ride it out for sure (1k mile trip)

Also the bike will have little to nothing on the clock. I found a dealer out there to do the 500 mile service.. Which will probably occur.

I am thinking of getting a 4'x8" folding trailer kit. Run fenders and the 12" wheels. Then weld down some expanded metal and bolt in a bike channel and ramp kit. Bolt + weld some tough tie down eyes. ETC..

I'll need to make some supports for the fork tubes and rear suspension.. This way its cranking down on them and not the suspension when it is strapped down.

Trailer

Rail and Ramp

Canyon Dancer Bar Harness @ New Enough

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-12-04 23:54 ]

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess the question is do you really want to end up with a bike trailer, or is it going to be something you'll need twice and never use again. If the latter, you can rent bike trailers from some truck rental places that are purpose made for doing just that. Or I guess you could rent a pickup or small box truck for a one way move. Would probably be quite a bit cheaper for something you're only going to ever use a few times, and then you don't have to worry about storing it either...

Also, 1000 miles is a pretty decent distance. I think that for traveling any appreciable distance, hauling a trailer would be pretty unpleasant. You're limited in your top speed, and your turning abilities are severely compromised. Not to mention constantly worrying about whether your trailer is still attached. :-D A pickup might be better suited to the job, assuming you don't care about having your car while you're there.

Or, you could try something like this: http://www.versahaul.com/, but I suspect that unless you're driving something pretty beefy, you probably won't be able to fit a Sprint on it...

Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I will likely need a utility trailer for mowers, snowmobiles, four wheelers... etc. also..

I'll look into rental rates for cycle trailers..

Its not a 1 way move but a 8 wk stay.

Hmm $14.95 a day for a rental bike trailer..

not bad...

I might still make my own. I think its a good idea to have one..

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-12-05 01:01 ]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its summer where you are..

It can be nice in April or we can have black ice..

April 7, 1987 -
the fourth consecutive day of record high temperatures was recorded at International Falls, Minnesota. The previous record for today was 60 degrees, set in 1970. Today's high temperature reached 71 degrees, breaking the old record by 11 degrees.

April 9, 1973 -
a severe late season snowstorm was in progress across Iowa, southeastern Minnesota, northern Illinois, and southern Wisconsin. Wind gusts to 70 mph whipped the snow into 16 foot drifts in Iowa. 10 to 20 inches of snow was common with 20 inches falling at Grand Meadow, Minnesota and 19.4 inches piling up at Dubuque, Iowa.

I'm towing... Either extreme and I am still prepared

I found a usedutility trailer with a cycle rail and ramp kit on it already cheap in town...

I'll get it and make it a low boy... I'll toss the axle and buggy springs it comes with and put on a torsion bar axle notched into flush with and welded to the top of the frame rails... It will be wider wheel base, lower and have independant suspension then. bigger diameter tires will help too.. Slower rpms at the bearing... plus bearing buddies.... basically the same tires, wheels and bearings as ppl around here tow their boats around at 85mph... Just a softer sprung torsion bar...

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-12-05 05:45 ]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Don't ride.

Trailers are for boats.

The weather is too unpredictable for the bike.

My 2¢
:-D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll trailer it..

I have a friend who builds towable ice houses.. Very nice ones that lower/drop down on the ice..

taking from some of his plans and parts and combining with my ideas we came up with something... Light weight and loads the bike on only 2" off the ground then cranks up...

I'll probably make the money back towing my friends ducati to the shop for him.....
:-D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the shape of the Kendon single trailer.

I also like some of the drop down or tilit trailers I have seen.

I'll probably roll my own from parts..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts