Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off. hi to all especially my american friends. :-D

i have deliberated n hurt my brain long enough to figure most if not all you guys know what you re on about,, i have a dilemar :mad:

i have recently bought a 1998 speed triple that was 1st registered in october 98. i bought it from a 100% triumph dealer and it was advertised as a 955i 955cc,, and on my logbook/pinkslip? it states its a 955cc triple,, ok i know whats the problem then!!!

on checking thru my owners manual it lists my bike as having the 855cc engine,,, ive spoke to triumph and various dealers that require the Vin number to order stuff and they are all not that sure, and there does not seem like any physical way to check what engine is in my bike :hammer: :hammer:

so (takes deep breathe) is there any physical way of proving what engine is in my triple 955 or 855

any help appreciated dudes :-D
/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album843&id=aqz&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=view_photo.php

[ This message was edited by: tripletiple on 2007-02-18 11:40 ]

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
On 2007-02-17 05:01, Percanto wrote:
Does it have carbs or EFI? If carbs, then it's the 885, if it's injected, then it's the 955
I'm not sure if thats a completly true statement. If it has carbs, its definately a 885. If its fuel injected, it could be a 885 or 955 I believe. 1996 was the last year for carburarted speed triples, known as the T3 model.

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
On 2007-02-17 05:01, Percanto wrote:
Does it have carbs or EFI? If carbs, then it's the 885, if it's injected, then it's the 955
Definitely incorrect - 97/98 885's were fuel injected

What is manufacture date? (check on the plate by the steeringhead)
I think that since you have a T509 (and most likely manufactured earlier in '98 than Oct than when it was registered obviously), it is an 885. The T509 designator is the defining article I think.

You can find the differences listed here if you want to do some analyses of the differences

Edit - just went out to the garage to check on my bike which currently has tank off - the evaporitive emmissions label on the airbox specifies the displacement. That is your ultimate test if you care to remove the tank to find out.

[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-02-17 08:45 ]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to :
Devious2XS, Percanto, smashtime, tealetm', DEcosse
for yure replies,, :)

1st thing i did was call triumph, they said 1st off that it was 885cc but when i explained it was injection they said it must be 955cc, cos 855 was carbs enough said..

then i recieved my service manual/fiche on cd which showed both being inj , Doh, i contacted my local bike shop (fowlers of bristol) when i gave him my Vin number he said its the 955cc ..

not on any documentation does it state i own a T509,,

how od is this obviously i contacted the dealer i got it from he says yeh its a "t509" but in same breath states its Def 955cc

THE IMPORTANT THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS I WAS SOLD THIS BIKE AS A 955CC 955 i SPEED TRIPLE

and i am trying to discover if i have been misold but it was bought from a Triumph dealer so i need proper facts before i go winging to him....

and thks again DEcosse! i will be pulling tank off on monday and anything else that will help... but i must admit im abit bewildered that somewhere on the engine it does not state wot cc it is :mad:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1998 model year Speed Triple was injected 885cc.
1999 model year Speed Triple was injected 955cc.

If you were sold a 1998 "955", then it was misrepresented.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I believe you actually have a T509 Speed Triple, which would in fact be an 885cc engine. The confusing factor is that many manufactures release their next model year around October. Triumph has gone against the grain here (usually) and only announces their new models in October. The actual sales often begin after the first of the year.

For instance, I ordered my 05 in November of 2004, but the first bike to arrive at my dealership didn't arrive until March 2005. Mine was #3 out the door. Other dealerships had bikes much before that, but nobody I know had one of the new models before January.

So by that logic I would say that your bike is in fact a 1998 model, and all the information I have ever seen says that all Speed Triples in 1998 were T509 models with the Fuel Injected 885 engine.

Your proof should be looking for the numbers T509, or T595. If it says T595 anywhere on it then it is in fact a 955cc engine. if it's T509 then it's an 885cc engine. Beyond that, the only way to know the difference would be to strip down the engine and measure the cylinder bore. The 885 is 76mm, the 955 is 79mm. Otherwise the engines are pretty much identical.

Don't let it get you down though! Even theT509 Speed Triple was a great bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2007-02-17 10:34, crashmasterd wrote:
I believe you actually have a T509 Speed Triple, which would in fact be an 885cc engine. The confusing factor is that many manufactures release their next model year around October. Triumph has gone against the grain here (usually) and only announces their new models in October. The actual sales often begin after the first of the year.

For instance, I ordered my 05 in November of 2004, but the first bike to arrive at my dealership didn't arrive until March 2005. Mine was #3 out the door. Other dealerships had bikes much before that, but nobody I know had one of the new models before January.

So by that logic I would say that your bike is in fact a 1998 model, and all the information I have ever seen says that all Speed Triples in 1998 were T509 models with the Fuel Injected 885 engine.

Your proof should be looking for the numbers T509, or T595. If it says T595 anywhere on it then it is in fact a 955cc engine. if it's T509 then it's an 885cc engine. Beyond that, the only way to know the difference would be to strip down the engine and measure the cylinder bore. The 885 is 76mm, the 955 is 79mm. Otherwise the engines are pretty much identical.

Don't let it get you down though! Even theT509 Speed Triple was a great bike.

Dont get me wrong i am well overjoyed with my bike and it certainly puts a smile on my bike, its like new only done 11,000 miles,

it just greys the day out when i paid for something that it isnt and more to the point im suposedly riding a bike that iam insured on as a 955 i , fortunately english weather being english !!! im not riding at the moment so next week shuld give me some more clues to its identity,,,

plus good forbid i should decide to sell it in the future,,it might look a bit sus that im selling a 955i that really is an 855i so for the next owners and my sake i have to know even if i have to strip the engine!!! :hammer: :hammer:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2007-02-17 11:13, DEcosse wrote:
Here's the Emissions Label on the airbox - displacement is clearly indicated.

hmmmm will i still have that label as i done think we have emmisions control systems on our bikes?

i just spoke to the original dealer that registered the bike(Windy Corner in UK) unfortunately they closed at 5pm but the lovely lady i spoke to said she will call me 1st thing monday monring to try and verify the engine size,,

i must admit,, i have never come accross a Vehicle owners document in the UK were the enigne size was wrong but i supsoe thats open to interpretation,, which is way i thought if anyone would know it might be the original deal the sold the bike from new

The quest continues

p.s once again thanks for everybodys help your all top bananas :-D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2007-02-17 11:25, tripletiple wrote:
hmmmm will i still have that label as i done think we have emmisions control systems on our bikes?

p.s once again thanks for everybodys help your all top bananas :-D
You are correct: English spec bikes don't have charcoal canisters. That's pretty much a California only thing (sorry DEcosse) and a couple of Euro countries (Sweden? Maybe?) But it's coming to a dealership near YOU! Just like the Catalytic converters.

If I gotta be a bananya, then at least I'm top of the bunch!

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
On 2007-02-17 11:54, crashmasterd wrote:
..... English spec bikes don't have charcoal canisters. That's pretty much a California only thing ...
According to the parts fiches on BikeBandit, that is certainly the case on 955 bikes, but in the 885 Evaporative Loss Equipment Diagram there is no delineation for CA vs ROW systems - they ALL would appear to have the carbon canister.

955 Diagram for comparison

I don't know this for fact - just going by what the data above tells me.

[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-02-17 14:43 ]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My manual for T300 models clearly states: "For California Only" on the blowup for the charcoal canister. So do all the manuals I have for 955i engines. I can't believe that they would change that for only the T509 models. It doesn't make any sense.

I expect it is simply because the 98 T595 has that ISCV valve and stepper motor, while the T509 does not. Otherwise the 955i schematic may have just show the canister and plumbing as well, without "California Only" noted. It's probably just because the microfiche they scanned for that web site doesn't show the "For California Only" bit, which possibly was on the previous page.

Anybody else care to comment on this? Around here T509's are few and far between to check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:) ok just an update really...dont know why i did not do this before,, done a search for triples for sale,, actually came across 4 1998 955i's , so although not conclusive i would say they are deffinately around

although compared to the amount of T509's its like putting your hand in a pit of vipers and only getting bit once :mad:

i called the dealer of one for sale (a triumph dealer)
who said it def was 955 cc and there is atag under seat which states T595!

unfortunatley still cant get to bike till tomorrow morning Grrrrrrr but will let you know with phots hopefully,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Easiest way to tell by looking is see if there is a balance pipe between your headers if there is it's a 955, T509's didn't have the balance pipe, Also it has a smaller radiator. Check it next to a 99 or 2000 model.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Son of a gun! Stampy's right! Easy as cake.

I always knew Kiwi's were good for something. And here I thought it was just their cute daughters...

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2007-02-18 11:14 ]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On 2007-02-18 08:51, tripletiple wrote:
:) ok just an update really...dont know why i did not do this before,, done a search for triples for sale,, actually came across 4 1998 955i's , so although not conclusive i would say they are deffinately around

although compared to the amount of T509's its like putting your hand in a pit of vipers and only getting bit once :mad:

i called the dealer of one for sale (a triumph dealer)
who said it def was 955 cc and there is atag under seat which states T595!

unfortunatley still cant get to bike till tomorrow morning Grrrrrrr but will let you know with phots hopefully,
hi , if by that you mean that horzontal piece of exhaust going between the downpipes as you look just below the rad then yes i do i would show a pic but im having trouble doing pics (do to lack of inteligence)

im off to work(nights0 so will speak once again tomorrow night ngiht to all

:-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts