Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Tiger riders. I've just joined and just about to buy a Tiger 885. I've not owned a Triumph before and i'm not very technical so would appreciate any advice on what(if any) possible faults to look for when purchasing an 885.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hi Tim.

Welcome to the forum :)

It's difficult to know where to start ?

An 885 is going to have had a good few winters on British roads, so will probably be feeling it's age by now.

I would check for a service history, bills and receipts, good test ride for mechanicals, previous owners, stolen recovered check, etc.

I'm sure you'll get some good advice on here though :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Which 885? Carbs or FI? While they are somewhat different, they all seem to all be pretty bulletproof. I have a 1999 FI model, my buddy Jim has a carb model. We love'm both! In Arizona, we don't have the same type of wear you would see on a bike from the UK. Since my Tiger shows a bit of rust in Arizona, I would imagine it could be really bad where it's actually wet! I would check out the bearings - steering head especially - and find out if it was garaged in the winter. I think it can be pretty ugly, cosmetically, and still be really strong and reliable. My Tiger, Maggie - the GPS is set to speak in British English and a British woman who tells you where to go is obviously Maggie - is up on my service stand undergoing a once-over at 60,000 miles. Basically oil change and filters and a bit of fastener tightening. Great motorcycle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An 885 is going to have had a good few winters on British roads, so will probably be feeling it's age by now.
Thanks Graeme. Amazingly it's only got 14,000 miles on it so I hope it hasn't had too hard a life :)

Which 885? Carbs or FI?
Thanks TusconBill. It's a 1999 T reg so I guess that makes it a FI. I take it that all the Tiger 900s are FI even though they have a 885 engine?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Tim-
It's brand new! If it's had the 12K service, you're good to go. They call them 900s, but they are all 885 then went to 955. I have been VERY happy with Maggie, if the price is right, buy it! As for my garage comment, we have lots of folks who are fair-weather riders and keep their machines indoors in all but the best of conditions. It may not have seen any winters. And with 14K on the clock, it surely hasn't been ridden much. I put 39K on Maggie in the last two years.
Bill

·
Registered
166 Posts
Should he check to see if the sprag clutch thingy has been done ?

I picked up my 95 Sprint which has the 885 triple carb engine in it and I love it. Mine had only done 10,500 miles when I got it, rides like a new one.

The tires on mine were good but we fopund out they were 10 and 11 years old so they're being replaced asap and all the fluids were as old, so a quick fluids change, free up of the disc carriers, the little round discs that are supposed to float/spin but had sized up and a slighty sized up rear brake caliper was all that was needed.

Oh, and the front fork seals have just gone, probably as they had dried out/hardened with age.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Tim-
It's brand new! If it's had the 12K service, you're good to go
Im with Bill on this one, it would also help if its got a 12mth ticket.
One thing to be aware tho, some are prone to coolant seepage through the head gasket espesh as the temp drops-nothing critical mind, but a bit off putting.
Mines been at it for the last 3 winters so its getting sorted at the weekend while its getting a 24 thou service.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My story,i bought one brand new 99,it last 6 weeks the head gasket blew(lots of e'm do) and Triumph supplied a new bike(after handbags at 10 paces)the second i had for 2 years the day warranty ran out so did i!!,and i bought one of the very first 955's i've had it 8 years,and still can't find anything better,there are good 885/900i's what ever you want to call e'm,but i never trusted mine,and you have to read between the lines,Triumph pulled the plug on the bike in less than 3 years.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I know a guy, who regularly took his speedo connector off on his 885. It was showing 12,000miles but in reality had done well over 20,000miles.

I suppose you could use the MOT certificates to validate mileage.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

I went to view the bike last weekend. I just got a bad feeling about it, a gut feeling. The bike's mileage didn't match it's condition. I walked away from the deal as I can't afford to make a mistake on what is for me, a big purchase.

The search continues......

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It's hard to do when you want it so much, but well done for walking away :)

It's so easy to fiddle the mileage on a bike. If someone's serious about bikes then they'll have all the MOT's, service manual and tax discs to validate what they are claiming.

Your bike will be out there !!

·
Registered
226 Posts
there is a guy selling his here in guernsey

hi this guy up near the airport is selling his 885 i dont know how much but i could go and get the details for you if your interested it probably wont have done many miles other then e bit of touring i passed it about two hours ago fly to guernsey if you like it get the ferry home and ride her back to your house ill even get some pictures on my mobile and post them so you can have a look at the bike it had full givi luggage as well :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Used and not so good looking

I purchased a 2k 885i in 04. Basically it had been abused and owned by someone who didn't have the means let alone the knowledge to maintain any motorcycle. So today I have 95k miles on the beast (it had 40k when I got it) and other than normal maintenance, a lot of cleaning, new headstock and rear wheel bearings I have no reason other than cosmetic to do anything to it. Even the fork seals may out last those on my 98 Thunderbird Sport which has seen 96k miles.

While I don't know the particulars about the machine being judged, I do feel that just because it looks a mess doesn't mean that a sow’s ear won't make a nice purse.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Gary,

No disrespect, but I suspect there is a massive difference between British winters and Hawaiian winters !!

In the UK rock salt is put down on the roads from November to April and it just wrecks bikes and cars.

The bike in question may have had 13 British winters under it's belt - not good :eek:

I suspect in Hawaii it is hot all year round, semi naked hula girls offer to wash your bike for free after every ride, bikes don't get stolen 'cause you've got Dog the Bounty Hunter in the hood, etc, etc, etc :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine's a 2000 855i

I hope you buy it because they can be had for very little money and they are bullet proof.

The ranking expert, in my opinion is TusconBill. I have follow his advice on sprockets and I have never been happier with a motorcycle.

Good luck.

Realtom
California, USA

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Gary,

No disrespect, but I suspect there is a massive difference between British winters and Hawaiian winters !!

In the UK rock salt is put down on the roads from November to April and it just wrecks bikes and cars.

The bike in question may have had 13 British winters under it's belt - not good :eek:

snipp :rolleyes:
Graeme, no disrespect to you, but I believe Hawaii is much like any other place where there is oceans. I live one mile from the Tasman Sea, it's lovely, but, you get a very nice salty sea mist over everything you own especially when the wind is fairly up and coming from anywhere east. I rode my Harley only a week ago, and the disc rotors already have a fine film of rust on them.

I'd still not walk away though, unless I was completely inept at anything mechanical, then I probably would, because to get a professional to fix an old bike, costs a lot of money.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steamer advice also wanted

Hi Guys, new to this forum and as usual for a noob I am looking for advice.

Bit of background, I currently ride a Varadero 1k in Singapore and have just bought but not ridden a 1050 in the UK.

I have got the offer of a 97 steamer in Singapore, it might well be the only one :eek:, price is not daft for here and it looked and felt pretty decent in the dark with a 500 m spin round the block. Only thing I detected in the brief look was maybe a rough head stock bearing and a well worn side stand hinge pin, done 83k kliks, has what appears to be genuine TOR cans of the period, my God they're loud :D

Any advice from current or past owners, I really liked the look of it but I need some head over heart talk please.

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts