Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was planning on introducing myself on here anyway, but I have a stupid story now so I've gotta do it. I'm in the Seattle area, I bought a white '08 Speed--my second bike--about two weeks ago and I love it. I've been enjoying breaking it in and just did a ~300 mile oil change to get the glitter out of the crankcase.

Anyway, my stupid story: being accustomed to filling up the SV, today at the pump I absent-mindedly put 87 octane in the Speed (the manual calls for 89). Anybody else ever do this? Should I immediately siphon the gas out of the tank, dump some octane boost in it, or just ride easy till it's gone? Or, does it even matter? I figure these engines have a high enough compression ratio that 87 might just ping like crazy if I push it.

Thanks in advance for any advice, anecdotes, mocking, etc. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just ride it. Yes, it will ping on energetic throttle application, but this is only ~120 miles. You can add some octane booster (I would do it, but I'm anal).
BTW, mine '07 have trace of ping on WOT even with 92 octane... I tried medium grade, but pinging was on every WOT (not happening on "normal" riding). I guess this is how Triumph defines recommended octane - manual says use 89, go up if pinging is happening during normal engine load.
You are at break-in, WOT should not be happening often...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't worry about it. The lower the octane the better (and cheaper) as long as it is not pinging. If you ride it and hear it start to ping, then add some higher octane gas to it.

I personally have never run anything but 87 in my 08. Same goes for my GSXRs and my SV.

Don't let this turn into another "which octane?" thread.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Although I have a different bike, Triumph suggests 89 octane for the Bonneville as well. Last year I put a load of 87 octane in to see what would happen: nothing! I noticed no difference whatsoever in milage, performance, sound. Been using it ever since.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not to worry Ripfester. I've done this myself a time or two since I also have an SV and just got used to pushing the 87 octane button. I never noticed any predentonation with the S3 using 87 and I am WOT much of the time.:D I just ran the tank halfway down and then topped off with 92 octane.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, everybody. I had no intention of starting an "octane thread," I just wanted to get others' experiences. Now that I look back at the original post, I realize I was skirting an octane thread, an oil thread, and a break-in thread! :eek:

·
Registered
453 Posts
We go riding out in the country here in **** missouri and there are certain towns where they are not supplied anything but 87 octane. If we don't plan our ride correctly, we end up putting 87 oct water into our tanks. I hate to do it, but the bike always gets me home.
I would say no worries. Just dont make a habit of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts