Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there can anyone tell me wot year my bike is we think it,s a 82 bonnie eng#t140esdda29418 which i am restoring i have got new 060 tho pistons rings got barrels bored new valves,guides,guideblockks pushrods tappets refaced shall i do the bottom end my builder sez everything feels good (most proberly will)also some advise on a good set of cams cheers guys.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
I'm going to guess that someone will beat me to it before I can get to my Bonnie book to track down that serial number.

You need to be extra careful how you set up and time that engine for longevity of the starter drive setup, it can be easily trashed by a good kickback.

Sounds like it had lack of oiling issues, trashed cam and followers?

That far torn down, I'd go all the way; pretty rare bike to risk it.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet as mate yep tried britishspares and yeah couldnt see my number sequence either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
. . . shall i do the bottom end my builder sez everything feels good . . .
Definitely - you will need to clean out the sludge trap(in the center of the crank), because it WILL be gunged up, lead to failure of the big end journals due to oil starvation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ahhh...but you are forgetting English eccentricity..
Mine actually...you're quite right of course...I got my digits wrong!
An April 1982 machine would be a 1982 model year as would any bike made from August 1981-July 1982.
My apologies
BonnieT

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Morning ALL. T140 E/S DDA29418 built as T140 Electric Start, April 1981 as a 1981 model. Pionts for Hobbit, on the money!
Roy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Roy, as the keeper of the books perhaps you can help?
The triple letter prefix (I think ) started as KDA in Sept 1980 assuming that it ran up to July 1981 HDA (My Royal Wedding Number)
Did it then change to JEA in August 1981 to avoid duplication.....If that's the case how did we get the last machine made in Jan 83 as AEA? (as Jan 82 would have carried that number)
I think some hopey-pokey went on in the middle there otherwise some numbers would be the same...wouldn't they?
Or did they disregard the old model year system as so few bike were being sold
Cheers
BonnieT

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yes, Bonnietiler you are about right there. The first 3 letter prefix was KDA 28001 on 8th September 1980 for the 1981 season. All looked good but went down hill from there!
So, next came EDA30001 on 5th September 1981 for the 1982 season and continued in the number series until the last entry which is T140W (engine only) CEA35601 28th April 1983.
With the 3 letters, you need also the numbering series and then not always does that fall into place? Checking individual entries is really the only way to be accurate.
You also need to know that our cousins in America were, at this time, causing a problem with tax and importing motor cycles over a certain capacity and after a certain date of build. Triumph had the cunning plan to invent a VIN number to fool the US customs... I think it worked??
Therefore, you will also find VIN numbers staring BMO and CMO. There were 4 CMO Royals went to America and 175 to Canada between August and October 1981.
Roy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts