Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my best friends just bought a new 2009 Spint and mentioned today that with the hard bags attached the manual recommends not going over 80 mph.
Is this right? Has anyone traveled with the hard bags with there Sprints over 80 mph and had any issues?
With the bags loaded and the bike weighted towards the rear does it become unstable at high speed?
I have a Speed Triple and considering a Sprint someday for my next bike. If this is true, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it seems to bother my buddy.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The only time I couldn't get mine past 80 was when towing my boat.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
It says the same for the '08.

I think you will find that is just Triumph practicing "cover their arse" from a legal perspective.... I am sure some of our European members with access to the Autobahn can confirm to you that they have travelled far in excess without an issue; I would like to, but I don't have an autobahn here. ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
80 mph

Silly nonsense. I rode 115 mph with side bags on. No problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my 06 Sprint ST in October of 2007 with 0 mi. I was having so much fun riding the bike that I overshot my first oil change... I ended 2008 at about 7000 mi. In almost all of those miles, I was slamming through the gears in N.H. and VT. with a bunch of experienced riders with full panniers; riding like the wind. I guess you might say, over the manufactures 80mph limit. I'm happy to say that I have never noticed any difference in the ST's handling. The only thing I have noticed, is that when you are hard on the throttle out of a corner, you will feel the rear tire digging in, working with the extra weight. I have put this bike through alot since day one and I have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have cruised at over 120mph with the bags on and a large duffel bag strapped to the back of the bike. The bike is fine at these speeds with the bags on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It certainly isn't for aerodynamic reasons. I've been 110 mph into a 30 knot headwind with loaded bags and a 44 lb duffel full of tools strapped to the pillion.

BTW, BMW has the same silly warning. It's a lawyer thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cya

It's definitely Triumph doing CYA in the owner's manual.

Pittsburgh PA to the Georgia state line in 7 hours 20 minutes, bags loaded. No sweat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One of my best friends just bought a new 2009 Spint and mentioned today that with the hard bags attached the manual recommends not going over 80 mph.
Is this right? Has anyone traveled with the hard bags with there Sprints over 80 mph and had any issues?
With the bags loaded and the bike weighted towards the rear does it become unstable at high speed?
I have a Speed Triple and considering a Sprint someday for my next bike. If this is true, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it seems to bother my buddy.
My '03 has hit 150mph (GPS verified) with the bags on. No problems. My '08 has only seen about ~120mph. Also no problems. I guess I wasn't trying hard enough.

·
Registered
247 Posts
my lower tabs were bent in, when I returned to Tennessee from the INDY MotoGP. the ones coming off the passenger foot pegs. I had 60-70mph crosswinds, from that hurricane that was coming through indiana and ohio on my return. truth of the matter, I should not have been on the road. Interstate road signs were littered all along the way. (exit signs uprooted). the taddle-tale said I hit 135 mph somewhere along the way, passing big rigs. For the most part I was around 70-90mph on the interstate. I think you will be fine above 80 on short spurts. they will be just fine, just keep an eye on the brackets on fill-ups. I think the Concours 14 had problems with the bags flying off when it first came out, but they have it fixed now. All in all; It is mostly lawyer talk. to cover Triumphs Arse in case you are screaming along at 170 MPH and toss a hardbag into oncoming traffic :D

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Well done guys. Do you all realise that this question was posted by your local law enforcers, and they are following up now on all the confessions and admissions of guilt ?:eek:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well done guys. Do you all realise that this question was posted by your local law enforcers, and they are following up now on all the confessions and admissions of guilt ?:eek:
If a State Trooper wanted to stand outside and write me a ticket in that mess I was riding in, I would have gladly accepted it. my hands were red from the dye on the gloves bleeding through. LOL i rode 400 miles through 3 in/hr rain. If I was on the other side of that coin as a state trooper, I would just say "poor bastard" and let him ride on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I never said I was on a public road.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I never said I was on a public road.
exactly. my sprint has been tested to 140 with all 3 bags on (not recommended it did get a little wavy).

and i tested a speed four to 135 (had nothing left) with the soft bags.

all of this was done in the name of science. also as a safety check i ensure mine can exceed 100 with just the top box as a precaution...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Please do not take this as admission of guilt! This was on a closed circuit... yeah right...

145 mph indicated with side bags.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts