Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been nasty hot (90s to 104) here in SE PA for way too long. Stop and go city traffic on my 10 Scram recently resulted in a red mark on my calf from the heat where my leg tucks into the heat shield. I was wearing thick jeans and calf length cotton socks. A pair of knee high Wigwam socks has helped protect my leg in the past, but I wanted to find a better, heat-resistant material.

After a lot of searching, I discovered that Kevlar sleeves are worn in a variety of businesses to protect workers from cuts and burns.

The cost of a Kevlar sleeve you ask? Hoe about $2.59 from Amazon.

With shipping, the grand total is $8.19. The Kevlar stretches, so I was able to slide the sleeve from my ankle all the way up my right calf. (I'm 155 lbs with decent size leg muscles.)

I wore the sleeve today with the high Wigwam socks in heavy traffic and felt ZERO heat where my leg touched the shield. At red lights I could feel the overall heat radiating from the pipes on my jeans when I put my leg down, but the Kevlar did the trick. My calf is happy!:)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it uncomfortable or tight? Does it feel like you're wearing an extra "leg sock" when it's on?
Nope. The only part I was concerned about was the stitching at the more narrow wrist section of the sleeve. If necessary, I was prepared to cut the wrist stitching out, but I didn't have to. If someone has very large/wide legs, the sleeve could be cut down its length and held together with velco straps over a sock, but for $8.19, it's worth a try. I've had the sleeve on all day now under my sock and have not felt it at all.

Now that I think of it, this calf heat fix could help ST, GT, and Tiger 800 riders as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you still have stock pipes?

I ride 2006 Scrambler to work a couple times a week in our 100 degree plus weather and really haven't noticed anymore heat that usual from my pipes, heat shielding doesa pretty good job on my bike. Do you have after market pipes, or maybe do the FI bikes pipes get hotter I wonder?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nifty.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Hey 3Moons. Neat solution. And a Kevlar is a heck of a lot safer than asbestos, which would do the sane thing of course, as well as cause cancer! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts