Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty clean, restored '79 T140D. The latch that locks the seat down contacts the lid for the rear brake reservoir so I can't lock my seat. I'm not sure if the lid is just wrong or if it's the whole system. Does anyone have pictures of a correct one? I'll post a couple of pictures of mine tonight. I have to go work an airshow for the next 6 hours or so.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I'll take a picure of my E which is the same basic bike.

It's more of a simple lock that moves a bar anti clockwise.

My seat doesn't lock as it's a custom seat but I put the plunger back together a year or so back. The latching part on the custom seat was in the wrong place and I cut it off. I am going to have a new seat made that will lock (and not leak)

just tried to take a picture but it's dark and hard to get in with my phone.

The plunger shouldn't be anywhere near the reservoir and the key turns a bent (inward facing) metal strip that in theory stops the plunger from being pulled out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe mine's not a T140 seat then. It has a peg/stud that comes off of the tab that a hook is supposed to latch onto. I have three pictures of the hook that rotates via the lock and one of the peg/stud.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I think that this suggests it is a genuine T140D seat! I had the same problem with mine. The low mileage and original condition on my bike suggested this is how it left Meriden. I managed to adjust the bracket holding the reservoir so that is no longer fouled by the seat bar.
I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to make the seat lock engage the peg on the seat, but it really looks like it cannot. I have tried all sorts of combinations, but in the one that looks correct the lock bar fouls the frame.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My '78 is a bit different but I ditched the standard reservoir for a small Ducati unit on a home-made bracket.
Cheaper than original - works fine- and could be moved around to clear?

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
that's a different arrangement to mine.

My bike has a bent piece that swings around and doesn't have the hook.

My original seat has a metal strip that hangs down and the plunger runs across the bike and locates in a hole in the strip. The bent piece is turned by the key to block the plunger's withdrawal

EDIT

I bought my bike in around 84 (a 79) and looking at the parts book for 79 I think that my lock is the wrong one.
You live and learn!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Those reservoirs rust off very easily. SOmeone might have re-welded the reservoir back on, and not gotten the placement correct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the responses! I'll look a little closer at the mounting of the reservoir and see if there's any adjustment there. I'll let you know if I find a fix.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mines a 1979 T140E but appears to have been fitted with a 1980 inner right side panel as it has a cut out in the panel as an inspection/maintenance hole and a fixing point for mounting the reservoir, panel part No 83-7495 this mounts the reservoir much lower down behind the airbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts