Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Feeling a little guilty here as with last post I'm doing lots of reaading but not much posting. To be honest, am on such a steep learning curve that don't really have any advice to give as yet.

OK, so my 1979 T140 Bonny has new wiring harness and new Lucas ignition. Ran perfectly for a bit, then went for a 60km odd ride and at the end of the ride it suddenly decided not to idle and was missing, coughing and spitting at low revs. Rode it home and mostly ok at higher revs. Problems cleared itself by the time I got home.:confused:

Next ride, no go. Same problem. I drained the tank and float bowls, put in fresh fuel, cleaned plugs (very black and sooty looking). Ran perfectly for 10kms or so.

Tried again yesterday but no luck.:mad:

I thought it was bad fuel as on original long ride I filled up in a small town. Fuel quality unknown. Now I'm suspecting an ignition, timing issue but don't really know where to start.

Would really love to ride this bike more, soon.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Next ride, no go. Same problem. I drained the tank and float bowls, put in fresh fuel, cleaned plugs (very black and sooty looking). Ran perfectly for 10kms or so.
more than likely running engine too rich.

check faulty choke operation,blocked air filter or carbs need to be reset(rejeted), cleaned up

also are you riding in much colder weather than nominal?

clean plugs or replace and check again.could be wrong heat range for bike.

are plugs wet? or dry coal looking dust on them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stewdog,

I did think it could be too rich. Plugs are black and sooty (dry).

Also the bike is running twin delorto 30mm carbs. Yes I know, not my idea it's how it came.....

What's got me is the rough running. Spitting and coughing. I thought this may hace been more of an ignition issue rather than fuel....:confused:

Got feeling it's off to the mechanic again we go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes seems you may be right.

I spoke to my mechanic and his interpretation was that most possibly bad fuel at the end of last big ride had stuffed the plugs. I have put new plugs in and 95 octane fuel with lead additive and rode it last night and was perfect.

Will keep an eye on the mixture now and hope for the best.

Now for the oil leaks............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Now for the oil leaks............:rolleyes
Old Fords don't like to run when it's really wet out.
Old Mopar valve trains make a LOT of noise.
The EGR passages in a Toyota 22R WILL clog.
The Ford FMX transmissions ALWAYS lose reverse.
Triumphs leak oil.

Seriously, though ... they can be made oil tight, but most likely you'll have to split the cases to do it. Get it as oil tight as you can and ignore the rest until the day comes to do a full rebuild.

The good news is that nothing on the underside of the bike will rust. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Old Fords don't like to run when it's really wet out.
Old Mopar valve trains make a LOT of noise.
The EGR passages in a Toyota 22R WILL clog.
The Ford FMX transmissions ALWAYS lose reverse.
Triumphs leak oil.

Seriously, though ... they can be made oil tight, but most likely you'll have to split the cases to do it. Get it as oil tight as you can and ignore the rest until the day comes to do a full rebuild.

The good news is that nothing on the underside of the bike will rust. :)
It's not a leak, it's the Triumph ( pat. pending ) automatic oilchange system - just needs topping up every 500 miles, old oil drains itself . . . :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice (and the jokes). True, nothing is going to rust under the bike or anywhere around the motor at the moment. Clever of Triumph to desgin a system that only requires you to top up occasionally, never having to drain.....:D

So the problem is still there and I'm sure stewdog is correct, richness!

Totally fouled brand new plugs in a 30 min ride! The fun part of course is because it has those Dellorto carbs not much of the references on this forum make much sense. I will be trying to lean it out now and hope that amal tuning advice will work, in theory on Dellortos.

The bike is so fun to ride I really want to get this sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts