Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself--My dad gave me one of his triumphs last year and I was finally able to pick it up today. It has been sitting outside for several years, and is in pretty rough shape. The motor is either locked up or it is stuck in gear, so that's the first step to see if I can get it broke free. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for ya'll--I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Vern

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome to the board. I have a 78 myself. I'm admittedly biased, but I think the late 70's make excellent everyday riders. What are your plans? First thing to do on a 78 is figure out if you are dealing with a t140v produced in the first part of the model year or the t140e in the second half. There are a number of different parts, in particular the carbs. The answer will be in your serial number.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
htown16,

Thanks for the welcome. I thought I had a 78 model until last night when I found the engine serial number. I appears that the bike may be a 73 instead. However, I have been unable to locate the frame serial number. Where is your's located on the 78?

Vern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the board. I have a 78 myself. I'm admittedly biased, but I think the late 70's make excellent everyday riders. What are your plans? First thing to do on a 78 is figure out if you are dealing with a t140v produced in the first part of the model year or the t140e in the second half. There are a number of different parts, in particular the carbs. The answer will be in your serial number.
I just picked up a 78 bonnie as well! (Pretty sure it's a 78?)

htown, you mentioned that the serial number will give you an idea of what part of the year it was produced in. With my serial number of GX09098 would you know what part of the year my bike falls in?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just picked up a 78 bonnie as well! (Pretty sure it's a 78?)

htown, you mentioned that the serial number will give you an idea of what part of the year it was produced in. With my serial number of GX09098 would you know what part of the year my bike falls in?
Your bike was built in June of 1978. It should say T-140V or T-140E on the left side of the engine block above the serial number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts