Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I am a professional Wrench but haven't taken apart my Triumph before this. It's a '78 Tiger and second gear is acting up real bad. I will need to take the Primary Drive out and the trap-door, but I wanted to ask if there was any special 'tips' or 'tricks' that I should know before diving in. I'm doing this at my summer house and will not have my full toolbox at my disposal.
Thanx in advance.
Weazel

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Greetings! I am a professional Wrench but haven't taken apart my Triumph before this. It's a '78 Tiger and second gear is acting up real bad. I will need to take the Primary Drive out and the trap-door, but I wanted to ask if there was any special 'tips' or 'tricks' that I should know before diving in. I'm doing this at my summer house and will not have my full toolbox at my disposal.
Thanx in advance.
Weazel
You're going to need some gear pullers. You will need the clutch hub puller. What do you have? You'll need the factory repair manual to index your gears on reassembly. Take pictures at a lot of intermediate stages. http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/1970s/73-78-Triumph-Bonneville-Tiger-Workshop-Manual.pdf
Bob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and thank you VERY much for the link to the manual. I have a Haynes somewhere around here, but since we've moved I can't find much of anything...
My wrenching is mostly on Japanese bikes, so my puller collection is somewhat lacking. I'll read the manual tomorrow and see what I need. I may not get much done this weekend after all, unless I can rent the pullers from the local auto parts store or borrow them from work.
Thanx again. I'll research this more and post back here. I really want to get the bike up and running again. I really like my Triumph and haven't ridden it in over a year now.
Thanx again.
Weazel

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
the original triumph factory manual blows the socks off the Haynes one, which is really an older manual with a couple of added chapters.

Getting it indexed again can be a pain. I got into trouble doing mine years ago, too it to a guy who's steeped in Brit bikes and we couldn't get it working. I took it home again in a van and a few hours later it went back as if I'd never had any hassle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think the only special tool you will need is the clutch hub puller, unless you end up having to press bushings.

The very best manual for both 4 and 5 speed transmissions is the out of print Glenn's manual. However, I think, you can get copies from Low Brow customs. IMHO this is a must have manual.

It shows an easier way to reassemble the tranny instead of trying to shove the all the gears and shift forks in at the same time. Also it shows a very easy method of indexing.
If you order any new transmission parts, carefully compare and measure them against the originals. I recently got an LF Harris mainshaft that was 5mm longer then original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts