Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just acquired a lovely '77 Tiger 750 (UK spec) with 1,563 miles from new :). New to the forum...if someone can tell me how I'll post a few pics?
Cheers, Richard (Ireland)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think there is a tutorial somewhere on the site, but I know you need Photobucket or some other free photo-working service. P'bucket works well enough for me.
Oh, and good luck with the bike. I had a 77 Tiger and it was great!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original down to prety well every nut and bolt! I can't seem to get the front brake light to work...anyone got exxperience with these...it's integral with the handlebar housing...??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great looking bike. The front switch (at least on my '73) is a contact switch activated by the brake lever, inside the master cylinder/light switch housing. Mine does not work either!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Beautiful motorcycle! Are you in England? I notice the Euro tank. [Never mind - Ireland, I see. Better yet! LOL]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice one. I own this model and I love it.

As to the front brake light switch, I have the same issue with mine and haven't sorted it out yet (I figure as long as I always use the front and rear brake in unison it's not a big deal). That being said, I believe there is a simple switch buried in the integrated right side controls / front brake master cylinder. From the shop manual (which you should pick up right away):

The front brake stop switch is contained in the righthand handlebar switch housing and is actuated by a push rod situated in the brake lever. The push rod length is adjusted by means of a small screw found in the hollow of the lever. To make the adjustment, slacken the screw with the lever in closed position until the rear stop light becomes illuminated. Now screw in the adjuster until the rear light is extinguished. The rear stop light should now operate as soon as the front brake is applied. The internal electrical connections are all soldered and will require no maintainance. (mike: unless they do ;) ).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried adjusting the integral screw....no go! As long as I can fool the MOT centre that there was no front brake light it's no problem....fingers crossed!! other tehn that everything seems sweet..nice original motor...I've been waiting to own another triumph since my Daytona T100R in the 70's...
Only downside is I'm having to sell my Ducati to make space/keep wife happy;)

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
My '76 has that same switch. It was missing on my bike and I found a used one locally. Pretty simple switch. Basically a piece of tempered brass that that makes contact with another piece of brass. Chances are either the contacts are corroded and just need cleaning or one of the soldered connections is broken. First place I'd look is in the headlight and make sure it is plugged into the harness. Could have vibrated loose or somebody forgot to reconnect it.

Switch is a normally closed switch and the screw on the brake lever holds it open. Switch is dependent on the resillency of the spring contact. If somebody screwed the screw in too far, it might have slightly deformed the contact spring over time and it needs a little hand forming to make good contact again. Could be a combination of weak spring and dirty contacts. Treat it gently when you remove it. Held in by one screw. I don't think they are available anymore, although I've seen plenty of used switch housings with that switch in it on ebay.

If that bike has been just sitting all these years, make sure you flush out the old brake fluid with new fluid. Flush it out well. Fluid is cheap. Calipers and master cylinders are not.

Very nice bike. Congrats on your find.

regards,

Rob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I took the front brake switch apart last night...after much bodgery (a blob of solder and an elastic band tied around the brass sprung blade) it works again. For how long who knows but if it get me an MOT roadworthy cert. I'm on the road! Fingers crossed..
Richard

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
great bike there

·
Registered
86 Posts
Beautiful Bike!
Those switches are awful, mine failed too. Can you distract the MOT guy long enough to touch the rear brake pedal while he's testing the lights???
:rolleyes:
Todd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tried adjusting the integral screw....no go! As long as I can fool the MOT centre that there was no front brake light it's no problem....fingers crossed!! other tehn that everything seems sweet..nice original motor...I've been waiting to own another triumph since my Daytona T100R in the 70's...
Only downside is I'm having to sell my Ducati to make space/keep wife happy;)
I’m a little late (don’t get on a computer too often) . My 78 also had very quirky / intermittent front brake switch issues. Take switch apart, a few screws to get to actual switch mechanism. The "contact" patch of the electrical connection can easily get a thin film of corrosion. A few rubs with emery cloth/sand paper and my brakes light up perfectly. Now re-adjust with external screw for desired play.... hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts