Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1977 and a 1979 Bonneville and can't decide between the two. Could someone tell me if the price and condition (original) is the same which of these two Bonnevilles are more desirable. The 79 is not a special, it has laced wheels. Thanks

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I am looking at a 1977 and a 1979 Bonneville and can't decide between the two. Could someone tell me if the price and condition (original) is the same which of these two Bonnevilles are more desirable. The 79 is not a special, it has laced wheels. Thanks
I can say that my '76, which I believe was the first production period in the co-op, had very high build integrity....something about pride in one's work.
I think the '77 was just a carryover on the '76, so it might be the same.

Desirable how?
I'd say that you need to go back to 1970 and pre '70 for collectible value, atleast at this point in time.
I think the OIF mid and later 70's with disk brakes are most desirable from a technology aspect.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
all things being equal the one you like best is the most desiralbe. I can give you plus and minus items on both bikes. By the way do you have the first part of the VIN on the 79? such as T140E HAXXXXX OR T140E XBXXXXX granted the place where the alpha H in HA and alpha X in XB will change depending on the month built. yes there is a valid reason for asking the question.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Then you should buy the '77.
76/77 use the same parts book. The only downside to a '77 is it has lighter gauge spokes than a 78/79. NOT a biggie and will only be a problem if you beat the P00P out of the bike.
On the upside the bike is a positve ground. Why an upside? Compare the price of a positive ground zener, rectifier to negative ground units. The earlier bike uses the Concentric carb (price the enrichner on a Mark II carb). The other item is the earlier bike has a simpler Ign switch either on or off. Also price the handle bar switch gear of the 79.
Upside to a 79 has a more comfortable seat with the drop sides, better charging system and is a better looking bike(my opinion).
If you are buying a bike to ride buy the bike you like. If you are looking to buy a bike as a investment and put in the basement next to the pinball machine you timing is off.

jus my pinion
K

·
Super Moderator
13,274 Posts
As mentioned, it's a personal preference thing for the most part.

Kadutz mentioned some very valuable points of difference to consider.

As far as time to buy, right now is relatively good as compared to the last few years. It's a "buyer's market" with the somewhat depressed economy.

...and here am I with no play money...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I 've owned four T140's, two were 79's. They have all been sweethearts. I really like the Black/silver and Red/gold colors on the 79's. Some were Brown, proabably rare today. I also like the electronic ignition. The earlier bikes are easier to modify if you want, because of the splayed carb set up- More parts (aftermarket) parts are out there.
Choose the bike that feels best to you. T140's are probably the best Vintage bike buy out there. Enjoy..
Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts