Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wanted to share my experience. I picked up the Powerbronze windscreen for my 2018 Street Triple R. I really like it. Before adding the windscreen, I was really uncomfortable going above 60mph. The wind grabbed my helmet, tried to pull my visor up and generally made me feel a little unstable.

After installing the windscreen and riding around town, I wasn't sure if it had any effect. I still felt the air and thought I might have wasted my money. However, after getting out on the highway I can certainly tell a difference. With the windscreen, I don't feel any buffeting, my visor has yet to try to open and the sense of instability is gone. Once I hit about 80mph, my helmet starts to tug, but I can now tuck just a little and it feels great.

For reference. I'm 6'1.

The only thing I'm not certain about is the tinting. I ordered and supposedly received the dark tint, but it seems light to me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about black.

Great mod, IMHO.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wanted to share my experience. I picked up the Powerbronze windscreen for my 2018 Street Triple R. I really like it. Before adding the windscreen, I was really uncomfortable going above 60mph. The wind grabbed my helmet, tried to pull my visor up and generally made me feel a little unstable.

After installing the windscreen and riding around town, I wasn't sure if it had any effect. I still felt the air and thought I might have wasted my money. However, after getting out on the highway I can certainly tell a difference. With the windscreen, I don't feel any buffeting, my visor has yet to try to open and the sense of instability is gone. Once I hit about 80mph, my helmet starts to tug, but I can now tuck just a little and it feels great.

For reference. I'm 6'1.

The only thing I'm not certain about is the tinting. I ordered and supposedly received the dark tint, but it seems light to me. I'm not sure how I would have felt about black.

Great mod, IMHO.

I hope this helps.
Great to hear you had a positive experience. I have a PowerBronze coming my way in the Light Tint option and was starting to have some second thoughts. I'm 6'0"/1.80m and at speeds over 140kph I currently feel like the wind is trying to rip my head off. Can't wait to re-test this with the new screen if it ever shows up. I'll update here when the time comes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel like the OEM flyscreen visor I picked up (after much confusion regarding which part I actually needed since Triumph don't seem to be very good about clarifying that with the older 675 accessories...) and I feel like it smooths out the airflow a bit, but that could also be me wanting to justify my purchase. :p It looks pretty good, at least.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMHO the OEM windscreen looks fantastic. I simply wanted a little more wind protection and thought I could get it from the Powerbronze. Glad to hear there is another option. It certainly looks great.

As for the impact, I should reiterate that you almost can't tell it has any effect at all until 60+ mph (100+kph). Riding on the highway was unpleasant, even a little unsettling. I've since done 70+mph and felt much better. Much below that and I cannot tell the difference.

If you have doubts, I have found that going backward (better to worse) is often more recognizable than incremental improvements. Try riding ont eh highway with your new screen, then immediately remove it and go back out and see if you cannot tell the difference. My bet is that you will be convinced. Goes for anyone with any windscreen.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As for the impact, I should reiterate that you almost can't tell it has any effect at all until 60+ mph (100+kph). Riding on the highway was unpleasant, even a little unsettling. I've since done 70+mph and felt much better. Much below that and I cannot tell the difference.
Enjoy.
I have both the OEM windscreen and the Powerbronze, and have ridden back to back with both of them (and without a windscreen).
I think you are on point with your comment, the OEM windscreen does smooth out flow a bit at higher speeds, and the Powerbronze works a little better than the OEM at the same speeds. The caveat is that the airflow may or may not result in a windblast into your helmet with the Powerbronze depending how tall you are (I'm 5'11" and the air flow is fine for me). But it's an incremental improvement, you will not reside in a tranquil bubble of still air, I don't think any screen will do that for a naked bike.

For longer trips the Powerbronze would likely what I would put on. But day to day riding, OEM is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How does the power bronze screen install? Does it attach to the stock fly screen? With screws or something else? Any pics from the back side? Thanks!

Im in SoCal so im on the freeway quite a bit, i think a bigger screen will be necessary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Powerbronze install is pretty straightforward. You tilt the LCD towards the tank, and use a few nylon bolts to fasten it. They give you a clear instruction sheet, the bolts, and some padded tape so it doesn't jitter against the housing. I believe I have the instruction sheet and can post a pic - but probably not til next week. Honestly it's dead simple, and effective. Whether the screen works for you or not is always a very personal thing, but I love mine, and chunkles has one for sale here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Found a never used screen and with the instructions here it was drop dead easy.
Thanks for posting the step by step instructions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m still rocking my Puig windscreen, even with all the negative comments in this thread.
Feel it makes a measurable difference. 😉

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
I have a few friends with different bikes who put those little adjustable screens on, and swear by them. Noise? Buffeting? No problem, just make a little adjustment and it's clear sailing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I just ordered this one from the dealer, $55 before my 10% discount... Hopefully it arrives this week and I can slap it on and test it out...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Got it today, $54 with tax from the dealer with my discount... Of course they don't come with instructions, but I was able to figure it out. Requires removal of a few pieces, but nothing too tricky...

Looks clean, not sure how much it will deflect, but anything is better than nothing. I think it completes the look of the front end nicely, so its worth it for that alone...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Huh. I have one of those on order. It’s more tinted than I thought it would be. But looks quite good.

Triumphinstructions.com didn’t have anything listed for it?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Huh. I have one of those on order. It’s more tinted than I thought it would be. But looks quite good.

Triumphinstructions.com didn’t have anything listed for it?
Meh, wasn't hard, by the time I would have located instructions, I was done...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between the coated flyscreen compared to the non-coated? Besides the coated costing about twice as much.

They both state a 20% tint.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 241 Posts