Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having a real hard time understanding what I am doing wrong reassembling my new - OEM throttle grip.
It works fine when fully assembled and NOT on the handlebar (7/8 .875) but when I assemble it on the handlebar it will not let the throttle valve slide drop all the way to the bottom of the mixing chamber body. It seems like there is not enough cable but I have all the adjusters set to minimum tension. My new cabels are the same size as the old and I am reusing the junction /splitter box..
I have been working on this all afternoon and can not see the problem. It seems like a straight forward assembly but I am unable to get it !
Thank you folks for any feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looks right, is the cable getting into a bind when it is one the
handle bar? Check the entire lenght for any sharp bends.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pookybear, thanks for checking it out. The cable goes straight into the collar hole for the brass stud, laying nicely lubed in the track, no binding through the splitters to the Amals. as mentioned it works as expected when off the handelbar so I am thinking I may have the wrong part ? I plan to remove the spring and set screw at the bottom of the assembly. That may let the twist grip rotate enough to close the slides.
I am thinking that if my cabels were too short it would not work off the bars? This has me stumped!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
something else to try.

It is probably not this but everything else looks in order. Check your junction box to make sure all the cables are fully seated in the splitter (the part where they all connect) and that it is properly oriented. Maybe the new top cable has a bigger nipple and won't pull into the splitter.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Alright,

I have at times a mind numbing job so I was think about this
today. So it works off of the handle bar, but binds on the
bar. My best way to see what is going on is to mount the
twist grip on the bar, but do not tighten it down on the bar.
Just hold it like when you have it off the bar.

Does it still work? If so start to tighten the holding fixture
down a little at a time. Each time after a bit of tightening
try its action again.

Let me know how that works out,

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good thinking pookybear. I just got back from the bike’s shed, this is how it went;
The collars must be quite loose to slip on the handlebar. Once slipped on the handlebar it seems that the cam shaped rotator ( brass stud holder ) is hitting and not passing the lower collar –marked in red in attachment, to let the carb slides close.
Could it be that the collars when assembled may be out of round with the grip shaft and binding once tightened on the bar? This would explain why it works off the bar.
The twist grip is a reconditioned part.
I am ready to buy another as this one may be in the lake before too much longer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I recently purchased a throttle that had a collar that was HORRIBLY out of round ... that is a definite possibility. Is this a new cable, too .. if so, have you compared it to the old to ensure that the cable 'overhang' is the same length? (the amount of cable sticking out of the sleeve) ...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a new 1 into 2 cable recently, and had exactly the same problem. The 'single' inner cable was too short. I went back to my trusty old 2 into 2 system. I suspect that the cable I was supplied was a choke cable, but as I don't use a choke, I couldn't compare it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I got a new 1 into 2 cable recently, and had exactly the same problem. The 'single' inner cable was too short. I went back to my trusty old 2 into 2 system. I suspect that the cable I was supplied was a choke cable, but as I don't use a choke, I couldn't compare it.
Woolly,

Ah yes that one again, there are two different cables out there,
a US version and a UK version for the different handle bars.
Odd note though the UK version is way short. I had to use the
US version on the UK bars, gave a very nice routing of the cable
though.

And Davedone,

Every so often that wasted thought at work pays off big. If
it is just binding a little a same file might ease it to your way
of thinking. But finding a none duff part would be the ticket.

Pookybear

·
Registered
224 Posts
Woolly,

Ah yes that one again, there are two different cables out there,
a US version and a UK version for the different handle bars.
Odd note though the UK version is way short. I had to use the
US version on the UK bars, gave a very nice routing of the cable
though.
I appreciate that - I was changing from high (US) bars to UK lower ones - If it was just the wrong 'overall' length of cable, obviously the UK style would be too short for US bars - the problem in my case was the INNER single cable was too short.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
closure on this ?

Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to the parts dealer and a well respected mechanic about this twist grip issue.
I was told the rubber grip was binding the cam/ cable holder and he would adjust the grip!
Well see how it looks when I get the bike back from fabricating the new muffler mounts.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had the same problem..seemed like the single cable was too short relative to the jacket..so i carefully removed about 5/16 " of the outer jacket,problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts