Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a hose that comes from under the gas tank under the backbone of the frame and ends up pointing down behind the oil tank (OIF tube). I've searched but couldn't find a concrete answer on here but between the diagram in the service manual (of the frame and oil hose routing) I believe it's a vent or overflow tube.
I'd like to stick a metal mesh filter on the end but would like to verify that it wont cause a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Bicycle part Material property Font Auto part Metal

White Font Line Sketch pad Pattern

·
Super Moderator
9,570 Posts
Hi Wally,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum :)
hose that comes from under the gas tank under the backbone of the frame and ends up pointing down behind the oil tank (OIF tube).
believe it's a vent or overflow tube.
like to stick a metal mesh filter on the end
The standard connection is better.

If you look in the parts book for your bike, the "FRAME" pages - .pdf pages 44/45, paper pages 42/43 - you'll see:-

. the hose is part #25, "Oil vent pipe";

. the end "pointing down behind the oil tank (OIF tube)" should be connected to part #28 "'T' piece";

. the other ends of #28 are connected to #26 and #27, the "Crankcase breather pipes";

. the other end of #26 connects to something called the "Outlet stub" on the engine; you'll find that on the parts book "CRANKCASE" pages - .pdf 12-15, paper 10-14, part #58.

On your bike, the crankcase vents through the drive-side main bearing into the primary chaincase, then from the primary through the "Outlet stub" into the "Crankcase breather pipes". The longer breather pipe is clipped around the edge of the rear fender so, from the primary chaincase to the highest point on the fender is a downward slope back into the primary for any oil droplets vented from the crankcase that condense in the breather pipe.

Because the 'T' piece connects the frame vent pipe you asked about originally into the slope of the of the crankcase breather pipes back into the primary chaincase, any vapor (or oil under heavy braking) that enters the frame vent pipe will end up back in the engine, (y) to be scavenged back into the frame as normal.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great! A neater/cleaner way to vent it without the mess (unlike the early HD Evo's where they vented into the air cleaner and then puked oil all over the engine when oil crept passed the oil pumps check ball and into the sump). I like this, thanks for the other diagram too.

Wally

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
its not a real triumph unless it pukes something from somewhere.

Reactions: rambo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts