Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day.
I am owned by a 76 T140V that I have rebuilt over the last 3 years. I now have about 500 miles on her but have a few niggling questions. I have rebuilt the engine and tranny down to every last bearing, bushing, nut and bolt. Running 90W in the tranny, 20W50 in the engine. I am running standard air filters and jets (.190), and slash mufflers with some baffling. I did some basic polishing of the intake and exhaust passages. I am also running a Boyer ignition with 6V coils. I timed her with a strobe. The pipes that came with the bike did not have a cross over. She starts first kick EVERY time and runs great. Here's my questions:
1. When I roll off the throttle there is some back firing. (lots when she's cold, somewhat less when she's warmed up) Would this be cured by replacing the pipes with a standard set that has the cross over connection pipe?
2. There is an occasionally embarassing "false neutral" between second and third gear on the upshift. Otherwise she shifts perfectly, slight roll off the throttle and she slips up or down without any need for the clutch. Is this an inherant transmission design thing or did I do something wrong reassembling the tranny? (The tranny was in bits and pieces when I got her, I used the Haines manual and the factory manual as guides to bring her back.
3. I got rid of the oil vent pipe that ran under the rear fender and replaced that with a 1/4" line tee'd off the primary case fitting and looped it up over the front of the rear fender and back down the other side, exiting ahead of the rear wheel. After a good run she has puked a bit of oil out and it ends up on the rear tire. Has anyone come up with a good solution for the vent? I am thinking of mounting a container on the end of the hose tucked in front of the rear fender or similar?
4. I have quadruple checked the valve adjustment (cold) and it is right on spec. When she is warmed up there is a mildly percievable valve noise that would suggest to me loose adjustment in my expirience with other engines. Is it normal to have a bit of chatter out of the top end of these engines?
5. What is the proper edicate for passing a rice burner on a twisty road? Should I gear down even though I don't need to and make it look like it's an effort, or is it ok to just wave and blow on by them?

Thanks for your input. I have used this forum many times as I have brought this bike together. It is agreat resource.
Steve
Nova Scotia
Canada

·
Registered
237 Posts
Don't know if I can answer all of your questions but I can add to some...

The backfiring issue might be fixed with a crossover, I'm honestly not sure, it may require the main needle adjustment slightly higher.

False neutral between 2 and 3... I have the same thing with my bike. I just got used to leaving some pressure upwards when shifting and as I would pay out the clutch if it hadn't grabbed it usually would at that time.

The oil bleeder tube... I would run it over the fender as it was intended so the oil dumps at the rear of the bike.. if you do it carefully you may be able to run it Under the rear fender so that it isn't as visible. I would NOT use a container to collect the oil, there isn't that much room on the OIF bikes.

Valve noise is normal.. learn to enjoy it.

Passing riceburners... wave nicely as you pass them, knowing you're on the better bike. Don't blame them, just teach them they need to get a Triumph too!

Let's see some pictures...

Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice looking bike, you've done a good job. I would be tempted to replace the rear grab rail - although the clean look really suits it, the rear mud-guards are prone to fracture and you've got a lot more unsupported mass, so I would imagine it will split more quickly than usual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks Woolly! And thanks for posting the pic for me. You are 100% correct on the grab bar. I am in the process now of repairing it (the signal mounts were broken) and I will be installing it. All that fender being unsupported tends to shake quite a bit, especially at idle. I am going to try to get some better pics of the tank soon and maybe when I put them on my web album someone can post theme here. My instructions to the painter (a friend of mine) were that he knows me, and he knows the bike, just paint it however you want. What he ended up doing is a Union Jack in reds, sort of bleeding out on the edges. A play on the British bike / Canadian / Fire fighter themes. The white and blue of the flag are picked up by the tank badges.
Cheers

·
Registered
224 Posts
Funnily enough, one of my indicator brackets has just broken on my grab rail!! If you want to attach pictures, go onto your page in Picasaweb, right click on the picture you want then click on 'copy image location' then come back here to the 'reply to Thread' form, and on the second line of icons, 3rd from the right, you'll see a button that looks like a picture of a mountain (if you put your cursor over it it says 'Insert Image'. Click on that, then right click and paste. This will put the image location into the little box, and then the picture will appear in your post.

The tank paintwork looks superb and as for the valve noise, I wish I had a mildly percievable valve noise!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks Woolly! And thanks for posting the pic for me. You are 100% correct on the grab bar. I am in the process now of repairing it (the signal mounts were broken) and I will be installing it. All that fender being unsupported tends to shake quite a bit, especially at idle. I am going to try to get some better pics of the tank soon and maybe when I put them on my web album someone can post theme here. My instructions to the painter (a friend of mine) were that he knows me, and he knows the bike, just paint it however you want. What he ended up doing is a Union Jack in reds, sort of bleeding out on the edges. A play on the British bike / Canadian / Fire fighter themes. The white and blue of the flag are picked up by the tank badges.
Cheers
Very nice indeed....... Inspiring me to finish mine up. I have a 16 inch rear wheel so I will probably lower the shocks and I'm thinking of installing a Harley 21 inch front wheel, otherwise leaving the bike mostly stock, I like the paint color by the way. Good luck working out the front fender, mine used to jump plenty even though it was full length and had the original supports attached.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts