Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I wanted to say thanks for all the help on getting my 76 bonnivelle running it was a long time coming. Im having a new issue I got the bike to run today but when it was running I pulled the clutch lever and it just almost completly slack. so I shut down the motor and was going to attempt to kick it over again and the kicker has no resistance it just has the spring tension. any thoughts on what may have broken?

Thanks, Dutch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note the clutch seemed to be working until the bike began running. Could this be an adjustment or Im thinkin something more in depth. Im thinking that I will need to pull the gearbox open, or at least the kicker cover and maybe the primary.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Before you start ripping the gearbox to bits,have a look at the clutch adjustment.Sounds like something is stuck and keeping the plates apart.Take off the round inspection cover by the k/start and have a look at the arm where the cable connects.Make sure its not stuck in the up postition.
Also look at the clutch adjuster on the primary side.Make sure its not too tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it!! the nut that holds the ratchet gear that the KS quadrant runs on had came loose. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Dutch76,

Congratulations on finding the cause. That nut should have a tab washer 57-2240 to stop it coming loose.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I realized the washer issue mine the tabs are broken off of. I will be placing my next order today. The bike hasn't ran in about ten years until last week. but at least I've gotten to ride it now.
Thanks again guys.

Dutch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.