Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Off to the welders tomorrow for the swing arm pivot reinforcement and a spurious PO 1/8 screw hole in the headstock that penetrates the spine tube to be welded up. Why would you drill a hole up there?
A grease nipple perhaps? In my off-roading days it used to be a common mod so the entire headstock could be packed with grease to avoid having to take it apart to re-grease the bearings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi Chris, my use of the term 'headstock' was maybe a bit misleading. The hole is in the gusset plate that bridges across the headstock tube, the spine tube and the downtubes. Someone has drilled a hole through the gusset plate into the spine tube. Normally that probably would not matter as that part of the tube is just air space above the oil surface, and there's a spigot a bit lower down which takes the breather tube that goes along the rear mudguard - so the hole does not do anything. But since the welder's got his tools out, I'll get him to bung it up too.

·
6,304 Posts
Hi Andy,

engine
casings have been vapour blasted.
Barrel bored +40 and 7.4:1 Harris pistons supplied. Big ends reground -10
Just as a matter of interest, did/do/will you check-clean crank and case oilways and cylinder bores?

Test fitted the crankcases and the engine plates and it all goes together without any need for hammers of any sort, let alone big ones.
Looks like the frame is OK and not bent.
Mmmm ... without wishing to rain on the parade, ime this isn't any guarantee that steering head and/or swinging arm pivot aren't misaligned. :( When I've had frames jig-checked, the jig owner has always required at least the crankcases fitted and bolted up (on dry-frame Triumphs, I prefer to use the complete engine, because it was only the very last that didn't also have head-steadies as standard); the reason I've been told is that, especially when the engine is secured in the frame, it prevents misalignment of the frame around the engine when the frame is straightened and, by definition, when it was bent originally.

Hth.

Regards,

61 - 63 of 63 Posts