Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much oil goes in each fork on this 73 tiger? I have a manual for my 68 Bonnie but this tiger looks more robusts, so ai am guessing it will take more. I just bought this bike a couple of weeks ago.

ALSO, what weight fork oil and where can I find it? The 68 Bonnie is supposed to use 20w according to the manual. It is hard to find. I did find out that the Harley Davidson racing fork oil is 20w so that is what I am using in the Bonnie.

When I drained the 73 Tiger, the fluid was red and I believe that it is Marval Mystery Oil that was used.

I also have a good sized oil leak in the front push rod tube. It looks like someone tried to seal it with silicone on the outside. Do these tubes have any kind of gasget or o rings??

Any help will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi oscarat,

The front forks on a 73 should take 1/3 pint (200cc) of fluid. The red fluid you found was most probably ATF (auto trasmission fluid) which is in fact what they reccomend in the manual. As for the oil weight that is entirely up to you and how you ride etc. But almost anything will work. ATF would be the cheapest.
The oil leak at the pushrod tubes is very common, there are seals available. I think (please double check) you need a round section seal top and bottom plus a thick square section seal at the bottom (the square section seals are available in 3 different thicknesses)
For how to fit them have a look at Plewsy's head rebuild vid.

I hope this helps

Webby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts