Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have switched back to a 19 tooth sprocket and replaced the carbs is there any other way to get a little more power out of these old girls?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
become lightd instead of heavyd ? just a thought :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i try

but a few too many beers and lots of good food are more fun than exercise im about 220lbs. seriously though any ideas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Electronic ignition, 2 into 1 exhaust, Uni air filters, re-jet. Good for a little midrange hp and torque.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
lol , i agree ;)

what's the internal condition of your motor heavyd ? recently rebuilt or unknown or ... ?

nothing like a good fresh set of pistons/rings on a fresh bore and a quality valve job to breath new life to a tired engine .

dynamic balancing and some porting , cams , but basically these aren't high hp motors .

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Magneto ignition, big-bore kit w/ high compression pistons, lightened valvetrain, dynamically balanced crank & reciprocating parts, ported head, lumpy cams, slightly larger carbs to match porting job, free-flow air filters, tuned free-flow headers matched with tuned length intake manifold tubes, supplemental crankcase breather plumbing, wide ratio gearbox with taller final drive gear ratio in drive & driven sprockets, lightest weight synthetic engine oil that can cope with all of the above...

Also, you get free power and a bit of top speed by ensuring that you have absolute minimum rolling resistance in your wheels, axles, brakes and drivetrain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rejet

i have amal 626 r300 carbs and do not know much about rejetting. the engine has been rebored 2 years ago. sorry i am not very mechanically sound on this bike yet.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Woody, the 500s arean't "high horsepower" realative to a Hyabusa, but the Daytona races in the late 60s proved that they could be tuned to be VERY vast bikes for thier size, even by modern standards.

For 40-plus-year-old half-litre bikes, they are more than adequate for the average rider. In fact, a good rider on a 500 can hold his own against a 650, except on straightaways of any length.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do they have a big bore kit for the 500cc

im willing to spend the time and money i love this little bike it was given to me by my uncle who passed away this year and i wont to get it running good.

thank yall

·
Registered
970 Posts
Woody, the 500s arean't "high horsepower" realative to a Hyabusa, but the Daytona races in the late 60s proved that they could be tuned to be VERY vast bikes for thier size, even by modern standards.

For 40-plus-year-old half-litre bikes, they are more than adequate for the average rider. In fact, a good rider on a 500 can hold his own against a 650, except on straightaways of any length.
'Production' Daytonas were clocked at 137mph racing at Daytona in 1972 (+- a year).. certainly qiuick enough to lose your licence :)

Given the weight though you might want to consider putting in milder cams, these will give you a much wider spread of power, although losing some revs and top end. I used to run a 500 with 5TA cams and 9:1 pistons, it would run rings around a BSA Gold star Unless it could find a five mile straight. It would run to 103 very quickly in third, even upa slight incline. but did not have enough revs/power to continue from there in top, unless downhill or with a following wind. The great thing was it did over 90mpg ( but that was on real petrol, dont know how one would fare now on low octane alchohol diluted fuel )
Note, running 20 tooth gearbox sprocket. 17" wheels

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
camshaft change

Panda i like the sound of changing the cams. looking at the manual th camshafts can be changed fairly easy. what is a 5TA camshaft and where could i find one.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hey , i'm not trying to minimize the 500 or it's potential . a stock t100r was rated at 39 hp .

if you're used to riding your gixxer yea you might be disapointed .

first thing i'd do is make sure the bike is in top proper tune and that includes the current internals such as pistons/rings/bore and head valves/seats/guides ,then decide how much money you want to spend .

easy bolt-ons would be free-flow air filters and free flow exhaust .

after that open up your wallet .

big-bore kit . the only one i know of for the 500 will increase it from 490cc to 530 , not the 100cc increase of the 650/750 kits and cost @ $600 not including install which i believe includes machining the cases (that after the engines been disassembled) .

lighter valve gear , yup a few hp there too . kibblewhite makes a 7mm kit valves , guides retainers etc at @ $350 not inc machine work reassembly .

when you get into porting, cams , carb setup unless you're really experienced at that kind of tuning you're going paying someone else hours of time dialing it in . definately not cheap and the results might give you a great track bike , but one not so great on the street .

hey why would i minimize the greatest motorcycle ever made ;) ?

sorry if my earlier replies gave that impression .

my advise about making sure the bike is in proper tune first still stands . timing ,carbs ,valves oh and if the bottom end has't been apart in a few years , the sludge trap before you do anything else .

cheers , Woody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
woody

that was extremely helpful thank you. i will start with the sludge trap how do i check that?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
unfortunately with these motors here's the rub . instead of fitting a filter , triumph in their infinate wisdom used whats called a sludge trap in the crankshaft . it did a great job of collecting crap unfortunately you have to disassemble the motor to get to it .

here's the "sludge trap thread " that used to be a sticky here but now it's in the tech thread thingy http://www.triumphrat.net/technical-tips-and-tricks/51517-sludge-trap-info.html

problem is that it did such a great job it got clogged cutting off oil to the vital parts after not such a long period of riding , depending on how often the oil was changed and other factors .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
woody

went to kibble white 7mm kit for 500s is looking like a good start need to redue top end it leaks a little much.

thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
real helpul

woody is there any way to test the oilpressure and see if the sludge trap is an issue.it sounds like a nightmare getting to the trap.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Heavyd
I can see you are wanting to spend lots of money.. Which is fine except you seem to be trying to turn a forty year old bike into a new sports bike. Try, please try, to learn to accept the bike for what it is. Dont try to 'hot it up' Just try to imagine your granny in micro skirt and cropped top, just wouldn't look right. Dont do the same to your bike.

Fitting 5TA camshafts ( and their cam followers) will give a huge powerband (from 3k to 6.5+k) so the bike will pull well at all revs, It wont go much past 7000 rpm though. It will make it a nice touring bike, and boost the mpg. Partly because you wont be changing gear so often.

The 5TA camshafts were fitted to the 5TA/3TA touring model bikes from 1957-1967.

Enjoy it for what it is or change it for a rice burner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
went for a ride today and

i agree it isnt a sport bike so why try to make it one i rode another old 500 and it seemed to have more punch than mine so thats when my mind started wandering and wondering. i think ill just enjoy what it is for now maybe someday ill try the 7mm conversion from kibblewhite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts