Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Awesome! I have the exact same bike. What carb and ignition?

I need to rebuild mine but havent started. This will be my first try at it. I have the manuals and just got the 4 aces rebuild video. Still building my confidence to tear into it.

What is my chances for success on this thing? Is there a "go to" place to order the special tools? Thanks

Damon

·
Registered
885 Posts
This one started first kick also after being parked in a barn for 35 years. Flushed all the fluids, cleaned the carb. never adjusted points or valves and BAM 1st kick. Currently apart for winter cleaning and frame paint. Oh yea...it had 1,607 original miles on it. Put 7,000 more on last year. Love the bike.

psasak, you really want to help it install a spin off oil filter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This:

is what I started with last fall. It's still got the points/coils/condenser ignition in it. I statically timed it on my workbench in the basement last week - It runs like it's right on the money!

I used a combination of ebay, Rask Cycle (near Pittsburgh) and British Only (near Detroit) for tools and parts. There's a place local to me that I got a few parts for also - BCF Cycle in Kirtland, Ohio. A few tools were indispensable - like the tool to get the crankshaft pinion off and the camshaft pinion tools. Other than that, I just used what I had in my toolbox already, for the most part.

Thank goodness they had gone to SAE sizes by '72, my '68 BSA drives me up the wall with the Whitworth bolt/nut sizes.

I got the 4 Aces dvd also - he had some good pointers - not many gotcha's applied to the '72, though. I wish the dvd had more pointers about timing, and setting up the clutch, than it did.

... Oh! and I put on an Rocket-3-type oil filter - it's that shiny aluminum cap, just below the right airbox in the first photo. It's a tube that mounts vertically. It's machined so the input line goes in the bottom of the tube, then the return line comes out the side and points right at the return fitting on the frame. It added about a pint to the oil supply, too!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Engine is beautiful. So is that a triumph Rocket oil filter or where would I buy such a deal. I must have one for mine. Again, great job, you have inspired me and drink the same beer! Im new here but will try to post some pics of my bike before I tear into it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife got me the oil filter for Christmas from MAP cycle (727)381-1151 www.mapcycle.com. The part number is MAP6500 "Oil Filter Kit, designed for all Oil-in-Frame BSA/Triumphs, Mounts neatly vertically behind tranny, Parallel with oil tube."

·
Registered
885 Posts
Oh yea I see the filter now. This is what I used.

Mounts on the rear of the downtube between the swing arm and rear wheel. Very easy and not messy to change.

TD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts