Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello anyone know how to remedy an extreme lean on my sidestand bedsides welding a bar to the end, all the parts are there it just leans way too far over I have to put a brick under it. Also I am looking for a used centerstand.. I am seeing them on ebay but I am looking for 83-4941 I am seeing them listed as 71 + OIF 650 but am skeptical.....do others work as well? Thanks

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
My first Triumph - 72 Bonneville - had that wicked lean too. The Triumph guru I went to at the time jumped up and down on it while I sat on the bike leaning the other way. It was fine afterwards. Whoever had the bike before must have lounged on it while parked, harley style, which I never do unless on the center stand.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I built up the lug in stretegic spots with weld so it was nice and snug with the kickstand using up all the gap toward the right direction. Then I welded on a piece of roundstock to the bottom of the kickstand for extra height, feathered it in and powdercoated the whole deal. Those kickstands are a lump of iron. Must weigh ten pounds....makes em cool I guess

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 1971 Tiger is the same. I read the first year or two for OIF the kick stand caused a big lean. The center stand also came with problem being to long. My front tire sits about 3 inches at least off the ground when on the center stand. I don't have the best technique for putting the bike up on the center stand because it is too long in my opinion. I am also looking for a later center stand or cut out an inch off each leg and reweld.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I don't like the idea of bending it cold on the frame.That's a lot of force to put on the frame and lug.
You can take it off and put it in a vice,then bend it using a pipe over it for more leverage.
You can bend it hot (with a torch) on the frame,if you take off the spring or sheild the spring from the heat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The reason the side stand is like that is, the HD start.
Leaving the bike on the stand and jumping on the kick starter, puts alot of pressure on it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I took my sidestand off my '72, heated it up to cherry-red and, with the curve uppermost, twatted it a couple of times with a big hammer. Is ok now!
Mark

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welding and a torch are usually required to take the excess lean out of the sidestand.Once repaired it should be ok for quite a while as long as you don`t jump on the the bike with the stand down to start it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check the pivot bolt and its hole and if the cheeks of the side stand have become spread apart all of which give excessive play and increase the lean

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a blacksmith heat up the lug on the frame and straighten it, so that it was at 90 degrees to the spring post.

Now sits pretty.

I agree about the centre stand being a bit too long. It can be a real beeatch to get the bike to sit on it.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
The trick to the centerstand on any bike is to use the pedal attached to it to help the stand get under the bike as you lift it. The correct technique is to put your right foot on that pedal and then in one clean motion, pull up on the back of the bike while standing down hard (as in all your weight) on the pedal and the bike will roll right up on the stand. You skinny guys don't get the same boost from your foot as the beefier guys do. Of course the trade-off on that is your bike does not break a sweat hauling your skinny butt up a hill, either.:D

I would share one word of caution if you heat a side stand to bend it. Make sure you let it cool slowly. I was straightening out a center stand on my '66 and had it just about perfect. But it was winter and it was cooling quickly, probably too quickly. I put it on the bike and the first try to get it up on the stand resulted in the left leg snapping off just below the crossbar. I found another on e-bay and had the broken one welded up by a pro. So no quenching and if possible, keep your torch on it at a distance to let it cool slowy and maintain the proper grain structure and proper temper. If a sidestand were to snap unexpectedly, I doubt if anyone would be able to hold the bike up.

regards,
Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts