Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason I cannot drill a couple holes in the frame just behind the neck and above the hole all the harnesses pass through ?
I recently bought a vintage Avon half fairing and need some holes for mounting.
ed

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
it might be better to weld some nuts on, or an extra tube or something.

I am no engineer but the idea of drilling holes in frames worries me
i know that a lot of custom guys run the wiring inside the frame.
Obviously with a T140, you need to worry about not drilling into the actual spine.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two holes would be through the two large gusset that attaches the top tube and neck on each side of the frame.
ed

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Take a look at fairing mounts as fitted to 1971 frames.There are two tubes welded onto the headstock.These were not on the 1972 frame.

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
yeah, the tubes were as a replacement for the old mounts on earlier bikes.

i realise that you were aiming on using the gussets but at some point, extra holes and stress render the gussets useless. Not being an engineer, i don't know where that point is, hence my hesitation to add random holes.
The advantage of a tube is that you can add some studding through the tube and create almost anything

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a look at fairing mounts as fitted to 1971 frames.There are two tubes welded onto the headstock.These were not on the 1972 frame.
Yes, I've seen those and that is a option. Basically I'm trying to avoid welding. I do not have the equipment or a way to transport the mostly assembled bike to a shop.
ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts