Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only under hard accelleration she likes to pop out of gear. Something wore out? Or am i not shifting it hard enough. I find if i keep my toe pulling up on the shifter it is better.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My '72 Tiger was doing the same thing... shift into second, hit the throttle, and it would pop into neutral.

During the rebuild, I found some of the dogs on the second gear and the layshaft were really worn. When second was engaged, and quite a bit of torque was applied to the shafts and gears, the rounded dogs on the gears and shaft would slip apart and disengage.

I got some better parts from British Only and it's as good as new now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum but came up with your reply on a google search. I have '72 Tiger as well. My last bike was a '67 BSA Royal Star. I'm very much a novice at motorcycle maintenance but I'm trying to learn. My Tiger is doing exactly what you said yours was. It slips right out of 2nd gear about half the time - especially when I hit the gas. I have a couple manuals but I wondered if you could direct me to a good guide for the work it sounds like I have ahead of me

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum but came up with your reply on a google search. I have '72 Tiger as well. My last bike was a '67 BSA Royal Star. I'm very much a novice at motorcycle maintenance but I'm trying to learn. My Tiger is doing exactly what you said yours was. It slips right out of 2nd gear about half the time - especially when I hit the gas. I have a couple manuals but I wondered if you could direct me to a good guide for the work it sounds like I have ahead of me
I personally found this video by Plewsy, a nice English gentleman on this forum, very helpful when rebuilding my gearbox a couple years ago.

This video along with the exploded diagrams and photos in your manuals should see you through (with a little patience and determination) :)

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts