Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took off the top of my 72 B'ville to put a new head gasket on. After I put everything back together and started it the bike backfired and seemed to be running on one cylinder. I am not a seasoned mechanic, I'm assuming the valves need re-adjusted or did something else go wrong?

·
29,948 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to move your thread into our classics / vintage and veteran forum, where there are some very knowledgeable folks, but as a starting point, keep it simple. Make sure that you are getting a spark on both plugs, and that you are getting fuel and air into both cylinders. I don't know if your bike is dual or single carb.

Good luck!

That Haggis beat me to it while I was typing merrily away!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response, it seems I can't touch my bikes anymore without a major problem. I'll try your tips in the morning, its getting dark here now and snowing.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Definitely do a valve adjustment. Not that hard to do. Do you have a shop or owner's manual?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise!! I will have a local shop do the valve settings for me, I want it done right. I just had shoulder surgery and its hard for me to wrench right now.....Thanks again....Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts