Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2221 - 2240 of 2246 Posts

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
You would have to test your bike to see if you need to adjust your carbs or not. Next time I fill up I'll try to find some ethanol-free gasoline and see if the change would warrant carb adjustment for my bike. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference though as I don't think the richness difference would be significant on my bike. The octane difference may have more effect.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,222
You would have to test your bike to see if you need to adjust your carbs or not. Next time I fill up I'll try to find some ethanol-free gasoline and see if the change would warrant carb adjustment for my bike. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference though as I don't think the richness difference would be significant on my bike. The octane difference may have more effect.
I guess one tank of ethanol won't hurt the engine as you guys say.

I have a precision high-temp industrial thermometer supposedly accurate to within a few 1/10ths of a degree. I'll run a fixed 10 mile route at high speed on both fuels, record both ambient temps and cylinder head temps in the exact same spot and find out if there is a noticeable temp difference - and let everyone know!

No promises on when I may get to this though.....especially when the tank is over half full now......

GN

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Well, I signed in to reply to a PM I got and figured while I was here I should check to see how Richard is doing. Glad to hear you are still enjoying your Triumphs, Richard.

I'm just finishing up the final touches on an original paint '47 Knucklehead that I've had for 10 years this month. I hope to fire her up for the first time in over 50 years before the week is out.

I've been posting updates via email and never thought to add your name to the distribution. Or maybe I did and just forgot. Gray hair, ya'know.

Never did get the Bonnie out this year. BSA sat next to her and kept her company.

All the best,
Rob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,225
Only makes sense, GrandPaulZ -

GN

I took the liberty of relocating this thread to the "Member's Projects" section. Don't know how I missed that all these years, but remember that this used to be a "sticky" thread due to it's extensive discussions.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
....I don't remember which year they went to the brace on the bottom of the tank to prevent it from cracking. Look under the front portion of the tank for a cross brace. The parts book for '72 does not show that brace so look the tank over well for any signs of leakage, especially under the chrome strip that runs down the center of the tank.
Rob
Mine is a '72 and has the under-tank cross brace.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I think this has been mentioned in other threads -- it suggests the brace was added sometime during 72 ----- 71 and 72 tanks had a centre rib on the top of the tank - 73 onwards tanks did not have the rib

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
The parts manuals show the brace starting in 73, could your tank have been replaced?
My tank has the center rib therefore it's either a 71 or 72 tank and the sernos indicate manufacture in 10/71. Remember also that Triumph wasn't too swift in proofreading their repair manuals of that era for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,231
Been almost a year and a half since any posts have hit this old thread, so I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on the status of this wonderful bike I've now owned for 9 years.

Had 25k mis. on it when I got it. Over 33k on it now. The bike runs like new, usually starts on 1 kick, and is a joy to ride.

Here is a brief on what's been done:

Contrary to my original declarations that I'd keep the original Tiger Gold - for originality - I eventually got sick of the dull, faded damaged & blemished tank & tins looking like what I called "squished dead caterpillar yellow", and decided as I was never going to sell the bike, and value wasn't an issue, I wanted the most beautiful gold I could find - and so painted it. I never regret that decision. Many originalists who see my Tiger Gold agree that it's what Triumph should have used. Visually the color is stunning. I love it every time I look at the bike. So do others - the color attracts admirers like flies.

Engine: complete top-end rebuild with NOS Hepolite +.020" pistons & rings, new valve guides, valve seats re-done; Pazon EI & Podtronics R/R; automotive oil filter installed; new '70's oil cooler installed; LED taillight from BCS installed; Dunstall-style mufflers from Emgo, look exactly like original; new front brakes; new headlight & handlebar bushings; new fork seals; new Premier Amal carbs; new rotor and stator; recently added Hyde touring seat I found at a friends shop; more I'm not remembering because I'm 74 years old.

For a season I went back to the original mufflers as I wanted a more quiet ride. But the radical loss of power was unacceptable, so the Dunstall's went back on it.

Bike is so reliable I'd ride it to California. Done all-day rides in the mountains of VA. Pulled the ton on her.

Hard to believe I found this sweet machine hidden in the remote mountains of Virginia - 9 years ago....

Most of all I am grateful for everyone here who helped me every inch of the way of learning the world of classic Triumph's - sometimes in the smallest detail - and who've made this whole adventure a joy.

Really miss some of the old guys who were here in the beginning and who were so helpful: Rathlindri, Webby, Plewsie, Snakeoil, Shrugger, TxTiger, dogtired, HerronScott, trayden, Tiger Dale, and many others we just don't see anymore.

Glad GrandPaulZ, Kadutz and some of the other old guys are still around.

Hope to be riding my sweet '72 T120V and hanging around here for another decade - at least.....

GN

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Great to hear your still putting the miles on the old girl GN,
and most importantly it's still putting a smile on your face :)

Take care

Webby

·
Registered
884 Posts
Been almost a year and a half since any posts have hit this old thread, so I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on the status of this wonderful bike I've now owned for 9 years.

Had 25k mis. on it when I got it. Over 33k on it now. The bike runs like new, usually starts on 1 kick, and is a joy to ride.

Here is a brief on what's been done:

Contrary to my original declarations that I'd keep the original Tiger Gold - for originality - I eventually got sick of the dull, faded damaged & blemished tank & tins looking like what I called "squished dead caterpillar yellow", and decided as I was never going to sell the bike, and value wasn't an issue, I wanted the most beautiful gold I could find - and so painted it. I never regret that decision. Many originalists who see my Tiger Gold agree that it's what Triumph should have used. Visually the color is stunning. I love it every time I look at the bike. So do others - the color attracts admirers like flies.

Engine: complete top-end rebuild with NOS Hepolite +.020" pistons & rings, new valve guides, valve seats re-done; Pazon EI & Podtronics R/R; automotive oil filter installed; new '70's oil cooler installed; LED taillight from BCS installed; Dunstall-style mufflers from Emgo, look exactly like original; new front brakes; new headlight & handlebar bushings; new fork seals; new Premier Amal carbs; new rotor and stator; recently added Hyde touring seat I found at a friends shop; more I'm not remembering because I'm 74 years old.

For a season I went back to the original mufflers as I wanted a more quiet ride. But the radical loss of power was unacceptable, so the Dunstall's went back on it.

Bike is so reliable I'd ride it to California. Done all-day rides in the mountains of VA. Pulled the ton on her.

Hard to believe I found this sweet machine hidden in the remote mountains of Virginia - 9 years ago....

Most of all I am grateful for everyone here who helped me every inch of the way of learning the world of classic Triumph's - sometimes in the smallest detail - and who've made this whole adventure a joy.

Really miss some of the old guys who were here in the beginning and who were so helpful: Rathlindri, Webby, Plewsie, Snakeoil, Shrugger, TxTiger, dogtired, HerronScott, trayden, Tiger Dale, and many others we just don't see anymore.

Glad GrandPaulZ, Kadutz and some of the other old guys are still around.

Hope to be riding my sweet '72 T120V and hanging around here for another decade - at least.....

GN
I'M STILL HERE RICHARD!!! Just been busy (not all of us are enjoying retirement LOL)

Not thread jacking but my '72 Tiger is still perking quite well. Bought it in 2007 as I recall. Been sitting in a shed for the previous 30 years with 1,607 miles on the clock. Went through everything, and more, and currently reading 20,586 or so miles. Did all the common sense mods, Boyer, yes those lovely EMGO megs ($100 a pair) 180 watt Wassell stator, Podtronics, spin off oil filter (oil changed every 1,500 miles filter every other one) original carb, handlebar bushes, Progressive fork springs with Leakproof seals (5w Belray) horrible tank and tins (only original once) still pulling trophies, and still 1-2 kick starter. Motor never been apart (I'm dying to get into it) doesn't smoke or leak. Tonned up....Just for ****$$ And giggles did a compression test 2 weeks ago....175lbs in both sides!! Tell me oil filters don't work. I am going to try to make it down your way for the mountain twisties, but I do have quite a few around here too.

TD

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've had my 66 TR6 now for 13 years, these bikes have a way of engraining themselves.

Opinions on colour schemes always interest me, I've never been a fan of Gold in general, can't abide matt black and despite poor gloss black finishes. However I was blown away by how much I liked actual Tiger Gold compared to faded squished caterpillar.

Good to hear your making the most of machine and enjoying every minute.

Rod

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm kind of partial to Tiger Gold. 1971 Bonneville. Bought it 11 years ago out of some forsaken place in Idaho that I can't recall at the moment. Been following this thread ever since. Mostly sat dismantled until I retired a few years ago. Now running perfectly. All original engine and transmission components save for gaskets, seals, bearings, sludge trap, primary chain, rear drive chain sprocket, clutch fiber plates, and the stator. Still points & condenser Ignition. Starts first kick. Changed all but the Headlight bulb to LED's and using an electronic turn signal flasher to accommodate this. Stainless rims and spokes. All new brakes and cables. Essentially, if it's a moving part; it's either been replaced or it meets OEM specifications. Also added a Trident Oil Filter. I'm absolutely certain that it's now worth at least 1/4 of what I have invested! LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,236
Webby!

SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU FRIEND! Hope you are well, "spirit, soul and body..." and still riding!

Eternally grateful to you (and others) for helping me find the way on my sweet T120!

What are you up to, bike wise?

GN

Great to hear your still putting the miles on the old girl GN,
and most importantly it's still putting a smile on your face :)

Take care

Webby

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,237
Rod -

Come to think of it, I've never been a gold fan myself. But the Tiger gold on my '72 had turned to faded squished caterpillar yellow with many places scratched, dented, dinged or just worn through so the bike looked more like a Rat Rod. It wasn't "patina" of age, it was just worn out and had seen its day.

As I could find no reference for what the original Tiger Gold looked like around here, I wasn't wanting to risk paying Don Huchinson big $$$ for paint in an unknown-to-me color, and started searching for the prettiest candy apple gold I could find - and truly "struck gold". Everyone who sees it loves it, and I still do every time I see the bike in the sun - it's spectacular. Am I biased? Of course.

In the last 3 years, I have seen a couple original Tiger Gold's and I would have indeed been happy with it if I had purchased it from Don.

Don't think I ever posted any pics of my bike in its original paint, before I painted it. So here are a couple - you can't see the problems/defects from a distance.......

1st pic is the night I brought her home from the mountains....2nd is after I got her running well, cleanded up and replaced the high bars with T140/Trident bars, junked the hippy sissy bar.......

GN

I've had my 66 TR6 now for 13 years, these bikes have a way of engraining themselves.

Opinions on colour schemes always interest me, I've never been a fan of Gold in general, can't abide matt black and despite poor gloss black finishes. However I was blown away by how much I liked actual Tiger Gold compared to faded squished caterpillar.

Good to hear your making the most of machine and enjoying every minute.

Rod

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,238
Blue -

That is one stunning bike. Wish I could keep my metal polished like yours, but I ride it too much.

I think I like the Tiger Gold with the black better than with the white.......

GN

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,239
Thanks to all of you who have brought this thread back to life.

Really enjoying every post........planning on taking the Bonnie - and the Trophy 500 - to a vintage bike gathering tomorrow - if it doesn't rain as called for........Trident will stay home as I have a prospective buyer for her in Ireland.....a collector who, interestingly, also has a '72 T120V!

Here is his '72 - and his paint looks very close to mine......

GN

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,240
Took the Bonnie for a good thrashing tonight after supper - from country wooded twisties to finishing at high speed on the interstate.....hard to believe this sweet machine I found 9 years ago is still bringing so much joy and is running so well. Of course, I have put a lot of work into her.

And as I noted on the "What I did with my classic Triumph today?" thread, rode all my bikes in one day for the first time.

Also have ridden 9 days straight, several days multiple rides.

Is this what you call addiction?

Please tell me it's not bad for me.........

GN

2221 - 2240 of 2246 Posts