Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2201 - 2220 of 2246 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wow... It HAS been a long time - I miss you guys - the water-cooled crowd are generally great - sometimes a bit more snarky - but this particular sub-forum set the bar mighty high : -)

Sold my '67 T100 and '67 TR6C several years ago (only possible with tremendous help from you all...) but it's nice to check back now and then. I left here for a '98 Daytona, then a '14 Street Triple and now I have a '16 Thruxton R. Reliability of the new bikes is important, but thankfully I still have projects to work on.

The Oregon Vintage club says my '98 Daytona will be 'vintage' in their book next year - Hopefully I'll have it back together for their show in May.

Glad to see a lot of you are still here. Thanks again for all the help in the past!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
We rode with a Bobber among the 40 riders on our 28th annual Riverside Wyo ride this year, It was a big hit in the camp ground. I love the seating position. We had a Commando run out of gas on the long ride into Laramie and no other problems. My TR7 ran well and and stayed on James' tail on his 850 Norton flying up
Berthoud Pass (10,000ft). The 73 TR7 has an Amal Premier. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,204
Rob -

Wow! An old friends get-together on this thread! So good to hear from everyone!

Can't believe you still haven't found a place in TN yet! Hoping you do before winter!

And YES - you gotta get the 66 out and put some miles on her - will knock off a year or two from your age, I'm sure! I am more in love with my Trumpies than ever before - NEVER have I had all three running perfectly with 1 kick starts - it is a joyous place to be. All is well in my mind when all my Triumph's are problem free - or almost so.

Need Speedo rebuild on my T100C - ODO works thankfully, but speedo died - that can wait until winter - love the way it hums - with half the vibration of the T120V.

Trident speedo gear drive broke when cable seized up, ordered a new one tonight - glad to know Emgo still makes them - heard somewhere they were impossible to find....not so - right there on good ole eBay....

Take care friend - remember you have a free B&B in the woods of Virginia if you can get here...

GN

Holy Guacamole!! I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Nice to see you are still having fun with your Triumph, Richard. I just have the '66 now and have not started it in a year and a half. Guess I should do something about that.

Hope all it well with you and the fam. We are still house hunting in TN.

All the best,
Rob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,205
Well, GrandPaulZ - actually you were the one to get it kick-started, so we all can thank you for that!

So sad to hear you are selling your stable - but, such is life - seasons and changes. Wish I could buy a few of them......but think my stable is full as it is.....

Hope you and your family are all well - and glad you are still here to keep us all straight!

You're the best!

GN

One of the longest-running in this forum!

Love it.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,206
LP -

A '98 will be vintage? wow!

Now that Thruxton R is one great bike for sure......I have another friend who has one.........if I wanted a hot bike, it's the one I would get.

But my '74 Trident is as hot a bike as I need at 72.......tho I sure hope I get to ride a Thruxton R some day........I know the local dealer very well, and imagine she'd let me ride the one there even knowing I won't buy one - but don't want to push favors with friends.......

Take care man....

GN

Wow... It HAS been a long time - I miss you guys - the water-cooled crowd are generally great - sometimes a bit more snarky - but this particular sub-forum set the bar mighty high : -)

Sold my '67 T100 and '67 TR6C several years ago (only possible with tremendous help from you all...) but it's nice to check back now and then. I left here for a '98 Daytona, then a '14 Street Triple and now I have a '16 Thruxton R. Reliability of the new bikes is important, but thankfully I still have projects to work on.

The Oregon Vintage club says my '98 Daytona will be 'vintage' in their book next year - Hopefully I'll have it back together for their show in May.

Glad to see a lot of you are still here. Thanks again for all the help in the past!

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,207
SELF: Add to Bucket List - Throw Bonnie & Trident in the back of the old F-150, head west until you see mountains poking the stars, and go riding with ColoradoBob for a week.....at least......

Don't worry Bob, I'll stay at the Motel 6.........

GN

We rode with a Bobber among the 40 riders on our 28th annual Riverside Wyo ride this year, It was a big hit in the camp ground. I love the seating position. We had a Commando run out of gas on the long ride into Laramie and no other problems. My TR7 ran well and and stayed on James' tail on his 850 Norton flying up
Berthoud Pass (10,000ft). The 73 TR7 has an Amal Premier. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,208
"Thanks again for all the help in the past!"

I, far more than LooseParts, need to say these same words to all of you here who took me under your care almost 8 years ago when I first entered the world of old Triumph's when my only restoration/recovery experience had been with old tractors.....and HOW WELL and PATIENT all of you have been in educating me and answering my endless questions and helping me solve my infinite list of problems......

So here's a big SHOUT-OUT to all of you here who've been great friends.......

GN

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,210
I have plenty of bikes for you to ride. (And Hagerty insurance) Bob
Always the gentleman, Bob.....always...thank you......but then, there's just something about being on your own bikes in new territory.....and golly - I know I'd be treating your bikes gingerly and not wanting to put a hair scratch on them, and I certainly wouldn't be free to thrash them as I do my own.......

Your offer though is too kind...too kind.........

GN

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,211
The dunstall's are back!!!!

Not certain of timeframes, but about a year and a half ago I traded my nice original factory silencers to a good friend who wanted to show his '72 Bonnie like mine in AMCA whose rules require that everything on the bike be original. In turn, he bought me a brand new set of expensive Made in England equal-to-original silencers. I was happy to give him mine as showing my bike in such competition's in not in my plans, and he needed them.

I had tired a bit of the loudness of the Dunstall's I've run on the bike for many years, so I installed the new/originals for a bit quieter ride.

While I enjoyed the sweet original sound again, I quickly noticed a significant loss of torque from mid-throttle up....very noticeable at 60 mph and above. Oh well, I can live with that.

Well, with the new carbs showing me performance I never dreamed of on my old sweetheart, I began thinking, "I she now runs this good with the original-style silencers, what can she do with the Dunstall's back on?

Blown away afresh. #3 in last year. 1. Pazon EI, 2. New Amal Premier carbs, 3. 1.+2.+Dunstall's! WOW! I feel like I'm on a '60's or '70's race bike!

A good 50 miles or so on back country roads running through the gears, cruising between 55 and 70 - and am delighted at the power that is back - no power I've never known before on this 46 year old machine!

I'm in love all over again! No question, of all the bikes in my stable, INCLUDING MY DAUGHTER'S NEW BONNIE BOBBER, my old '72 Bonnie is my fav ride of all. I truly believe I can start her by hand (gonna try it soon), and she is so reliable and dependable that I'd not hesitate to ride her coast-to-coast........

This love affair just keeps getting better and better........who woulda thunk it?

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
I truly believe I can start her by hand (gonna try it soon), and she is so reliable and dependable that I'd not hesitate to ride her coast-to-coast........

This love affair just keeps getting better and better........who woulda thunk it?
They seem to get better with age. Or maybe we just get better at tuning. :dunno

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,213
LOVE IT!!!! I confess that I did try, but the compression was a bit too much for me to get it cranked.......this video however motivates me to go back and try again with a bit more determination!

THANKS!

With Pazon EI, timing set, and new carbs, only thing left to tune is the valves......love it!

GN

They seem to get better with age. Or maybe we just get better at tuning. :dunno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHdM7AaYR8

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Colorado riding

I have the parts to re-calibrate carbs for our altitude for Triumph twins and triples. I have E0 no ethanol near my house, but don't hesitate to run pump gas. I'm serious about lending one of my 7 rideable Triumphs. They don't get ridden enough. Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,215
I have the parts to re-calibrate carbs for our altitude for Triumph twins and triples. I have E0 no ethanol near my house, but don't hesitate to run pump gas. I'm serious about lending one of my 7 rideable Triumphs. They don't get ridden enough. Bob
A friend indeed you are. Thanks! I'd love to see how mine run compared to those tuned by a real expert..........

I too am fortunate to have 93 oct/No ethanol only 20 min. away, and use it only in all my Trumpies - just to be safe. One ancient Triumph mechanic said they don't like the higher temps of ethanol. Speaking of which, I'm down to my last 5 gallons and need to make another trip after topping off all the bikes.

I'd run ethanol if caught with nothing else.....here's a question for the experts:

If out in the boonies, and having either 89 octane no ethanol, or 93 octane with ethanol - which would you choose? I face that choice sometimes out on long rides in rural VA......

GN

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
I use a 94 octane* with 10% ethanol in all four seasons of riding. In my province it is sold exclusively by a fuel company called "Petro-Can" at select fill-up outlets. I have never had problems with this fuel. If I had to choose a "89 octane no ethanol" versus "93 octane with 10% ethanol" I would choose the 93 octane with 10% ethanol.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,218
Thanks guys - good to know ethanol won't destroy my engines. Know well the issues of storage - not an issue for me April - Dec. as I ride all 3 of the bikes regularly. Winter - yeah, better keep non-ethanol in them - easy for me to do.

I hear the main problem with the ethanol, other than storage, it that it makes the engines run hotter than they were designed for, and the higher temps could be an issue. Thoughts?

Glad to know ethanol is ok if I run out of gas in the mountains....

GN

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
I hear the main problem with the ethanol, other than storage, it that it makes the engines run hotter than they were designed for, and the higher temps could be an issue. Thoughts?

GN
Actually, gasoline with ethanol actually burns cooler than straight gasoline rather than hotter. However, ethanol has molecules of oxygen in it. Gasoline does not. Therefore, when you use gasoline with ethanol your engine will run slightly leaner. Our engines, unlike modern engines with sensors that automatically compensate for the air/fuel mixture, must be adjusted manually. If you use the ethanol and find it is running lean, adjust carbs accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,220
TT -

Interesting. I knew ethanol leaned out the fuel mixture, but never heard it ran cooler. Makes sense that they would go together though......

By adjusting carbs you mean changing jets as well as pilot circuit and idle settings I assume......can't see doing that for running back and forth from ethanol to non-ethanol, so think I'll just keep using my non-ethanol gas as it is so easy for me to pick up.

Thanks for the information....always want to keep learning.......

GN

Actually, gasoline with ethanol actually burns cooler than straight gasoline rather than hotter. However, ethanol has molecules of oxygen in it. Gasoline does not. Therefore, when you use gasoline with ethanol your engine will run slightly leaner. Our engines, unlike modern engines with sensors that automatically compensate for the air/fuel mixture, must be adjusted manually. If you use the ethanol and find it is running lean, adjust carbs accordingly.

2201 - 2220 of 2246 Posts