Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2246 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this about a 2 1/2 hour drive from me. I'm leary of an OIF, and the changes made in late '71/'72.......but may be able to pick this up for a good price.

http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/mcy/1588694257.html

I've sent a long list of questions, but haven't heard back from owner yet.

Any recommendations from the brain trust?

TIA,

gatornapper

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Shrugger - yeah, a complete rebuild on engine for sure..... any other thoughts on it?

On a separate matter, the fork lock key is missing. Any way to find out what key it takes and get one? While it's not a 650, be awfully easy to hot-wire and steal, and I'd sure like to lock the forks when I get it on the road...... Clearly the key is not even the same type as the ignition key (I have original) which will not fit in the fork lock

TIA,

gn

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Shrugger - yeah, a complete rebuild on engine for sure..... any other thoughts on it?

On a separate matter, the fork lock key is missing. Any way to find out what key it takes and get one? While it's not a 650, be awfully easy to hot-wire and steal, and I'd sure like to lock the forks when I get it on the road...... Clearly the key is not even the same type as the ignition key (I have original) which will not fit in the fork lock

TIA,

gn
It's just as easy and cheap to replace the lock, maybe an hours work tops (it involves removing the headlamp and then drilling out the retaining grub screw) and no the key is not the same as the ignition.
The bike looks pretty original except for the cissy bar and the handlebars, as you've said it would need a rebuild, the up side it looks like a low seat model.
I'd buy it :)

Webby

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
You say it's not a 650?? It should be. Will also need a set of mufflers. I'd start off very low. Rusted chrome is another money pit if you want the bike to look good. Chrome polish will work wonders, but once it starts to flake off you'd done.

I don't remember which year they went to the brace on the bottom of the tank to prevent it from cracking. Look under the front portion of the tank for a cross brace. The parts book for '72 does not show that brace so look the tank over well for any signs of leakage, especially under the chrome strip that runs down the center of the tank.
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
It should have a tank brace, my 71 has one fitted. But you're right, it's not shown in the parts book. That confused me for a while :)

Webby

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 71 does not have the tank brace. I wish it did though. It doesn't look like there is anyway to retro fit anything that would brace the tank and look good.

Are the tanks without braces always going to fail at some point, or is it just a sometimes, depending on the particular tank, type of issue?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It may be worth what he's asking. I'd offer maybe $1500 and see
what he thinks.
If I had the spare, I'd buy it. Give it a quick and dirty rebuild. Throw
on some Ace bars and otherwise run it as is.(Minus the sissy bar of course)

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
the up side it looks like a low seat model.

Webby
I'm not sure on that Webby, it might actually be a high seat one, check the gap between the air filter boxes and the seat, I am pretty sure the low seat ones the seat sat a lot closer to the air filter boxes.

Have another look and see what you recon. I'm not sure.

As for the high seat thing, I am 5'6" and cant quite get both heels on the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
What shrugger said... 1500 -1800$ would be a nice price. Consider spending another 1000$ on her and you've got yourself a nice ride. A 5 speed also. One of the rarer ones for that year.

I have a 72, also with a tie strap (tank brace). High seat I recon, looks like mine.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I'm not sure on that Webby, it might actually be a high seat one, check the gap between the air filter boxes and the seat, I am pretty sure the low seat ones the seat sat a lot closer to the air filter boxes.

Have another look and see what you recon. I'm not sure.

After having a second look and with the benefit of several glasses of vin rouge I think you're right, it's a high seat model :)

As for the high seat thing, I am 5'6" and cant quite get both heels on the ground at the same time.
Same as me, I'm also about 5'6" and can just touch the ground on both sides on tip toes.

Webby

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
As far as the Bonnie goes, wouldn't XG mean December '72 and well after the hi frame/low frame switch over was implemented?
Ok, I hope I can explain this, there is a difference between build years, and model years.

A model year is the designated model, like a '71model is identified with an E, the '72 with a G and so on and so on.
www.britishspares.com said:
During 1969 a new number system was introduced which used a two-letter prefix indicating month & year, followed by the model type & the serial number. The first letter is the month, the second the year. This system used the Triumph model year not calendar year, which ran from August of the previous year to July of the current year.
The word "year" has no relevance what so ever to a calendar year when talking models.

Therefore the XG in the serial number refers to X being December as the month of manufacture, and G being the model designation, in this case a '72.

Seeing how the '72 model was built from Aug 1971 - July 1972 this places the December build month actually in the year 1971, even though the bike is designated a '72 model.

Hence it possibly being a high seat model.
I am hoping like hell I am right on this...

I sincerely hope I haven't confused anyone. (more than me)

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
Same as me, I'm also about 5'6" and can just touch the ground on both sides on tip toes.

Webby
A good healthy diet of the three main food groups, fat, salt and sugar should have you packing on sufficent bulk to be able to put your feet flat on the ground in no time Webby, will knock your top speed and acceleration round a bit though.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
A good healthy diet of the three main food groups, fat, salt and sugar should have you packing on sufficent bulk to be able to put your feet flat on the ground in no time Webby, will knock your top speed and acceleration round a bit though.
Hmmmm... body builder, huh?
Rob

·
Registered
169 Posts
Feb 13 on bike.JPG

I have a DE 20XXX 1971 TR6R and am 6 feet tall and can just get both feet planted on the ground. The seat height is 33 inches, so is definitly one of the high ones. The tank has the brace.

I don't think you can go wrong on that bike at that price, but if your short it may be too big for you. Take it for a ride and find out.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UK Bike

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I used to be 5'6", but 65 years of wear & tear, 3 back surgeries and more put me down to 5'4" + a hair - (not on my head where there ain't much :).

My T110C being on road/off road is very high for me, and I'm on my tip toes at a stoplight, but because it is so light, it is no problem for me. Of course, the Bonnie is heavier, but still a lot lighter than my Harley.

This bike was a UK bike by the model # and being a 5-speed. I see that as a plus. He has the original pipes which I'd clean up and put on, and yeah, rip that sissy bar off as soon as I got it home.

He says that his dad got it from original owner and gave it to him, that it was running fine when he put it in his heated basement where it has been for 15 years. He says he is not the mechanical type, so hasn't even tried to start it. I wouldn't try without changing all fluids, flushing frame (gotta be OIF, right?), etc.

Since it hasn't run for 15 years, I'm thinking $1,500 would be my highest offer.

Big question for me is it is almost 3 hours away, so that's a whole day trip to just look at it. Of course, I'd take my '06 Duramax with my bike trailer behind it - but there's $60 of diesel just to take a look. Could be well worth it, of course.

I also may see if he wants to take a few of my guns in trade.

gatornapper

1 - 20 of 2246 Posts