Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a DGxxxxx 650 for $300 and fought the thing apart. The alternator rotor nut, crank timing gear, timing side bearing, and sludge trap required much heat, penetrating oil, and pressure to disassemble. It had most of a 4 speed in it. I assume this is because it was a brittle 5-speed. The Bonneville shop is sending std big end shells, timing side bearing, rotor nut, and sludge cap and tube. I will probably assemble it as a 5-speed, single carb. Does anyone have plates or a pattern for mounting it in a 73 T150 frame? Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Bob -

Not surprised at the flood of responses for such an unusual combination.......but hey! I know this incredible M.E. in Colorado (cause he's a Purdue graduate) who could certainly do this in his sleep..........be glad to pass on his contact info if you want it! I can highly recommend him.......:wink2::wink2::wink2:

GN

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I got a DGxxxxx 650 for $300 and fought the thing apart. The alternator rotor nut, crank timing gear, timing side bearing, and sludge trap required much heat, penetrating oil, and pressure to disassemble. It had most of a 4 speed in it. I assume this is because it was a brittle 5-speed. The Bonneville shop is sending std big end shells, timing side bearing, rotor nut, and sludge cap and tube. I will probably assemble it as a 5-speed, single carb. Does anyone have plates or a pattern for mounting it in a 73 T150 frame? Bob
No, I don't, but I have to say that looks like a sandbox full of fun. Best of luck putting it all together. Keep us posted as you go.

·
6,495 Posts
Hi Bob,

I will probably assemble it as a 5-speed, single carb. Does anyone have plates or a pattern for mounting it in a 73 T150 frame?
I can't offer first-hand experience but an educated guess says you probably need to line up the lower engine mounting in the frame and then see if the (welded) front timing-side mounting lines up? If it does, you know the corresponding T150 bolt-on drive-side front mounting plate has a thin spacer welded on the 'engine side' around the 'engine bolt' hole?

If lower and front engine mountings match, the T150 engine and front frame loop are about an inch longer than the 650 twin's; I'm guessing any extra space in your combination will be behind the engine?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Bob -

Wow. Way cool. Who woulda thunk it?

GN

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Someone in Australia made an OIF t150.
Seems a little backwards to me. But hey, if one has the T150 engine and a T120 frame, why not? Just the opposite of what Bob has here......

I'll be really interested to see how Bob's T150 frame handles with the lighter engine.....thinking it will be all good......

GN

·
6,495 Posts
Hi Bob,

Close but no cigar. The bottom mount works but the rest will be fabricated.
Will the front mounts (engine and frame) line up if you rotate the engine forwards around the bottom mount? If they do, as the rear plates are special anyway(?) and you're rebuilding the engine, the scavenge pick-up could be a little further forward too?

complete roller 150 minus the engine.
Tank is 150?

Btw, I think that's a T160 seat; :) if so, you know you'll have The Gap between the front of the seat and the back of a US-market T150 tank?

Someone in Australia made an OIF t150.
From TOL, there are a handful of oif triples scattered around the world. Main practical difficulty to be overcome is just getting the crankcases in the frame, because a triple's are longer than a twin's. Once built, they're reported to work ok, but also no-one's reported stressing one to the original triple (oil) cooling requirements ...

Regards,

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The T150 frame shown is not the one I plan to use, just the easiest to access. The one shown is a 72 with a comical brake and has a brand new tire. Hmmm. I really like a disc brake with HH pads for the stopping power I need with the triple, maybe not so much with a 650. The 73 frame I may use has an 18" rear wheel with the correct tire diameter. I do have a 19" rear wheel but don't like the tire options for riding on my dirt road. I have the 650 rear mounts and only need to match to the frame. The drive side front is really easy. I have a factory paint gas tank to derust. I don't know which seat I'll use but may refoam/recover one by Kurt Gowings, my local guy. I might just get it running and sell it with some of the parts I don't plan to use if I ride it. I could use more space. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts