Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small question I have everything tore down on my 71 T120R with the exception of the swing arm. Any one know any tricks to get that thing off? as far as i can tell one side of the main stud bolt has a removeable nut and the other side is fixed? I am assuming it is fixed to the stud bolt as it wont come off tried hitting the other end with a rubber hammer to get the bolt to slide through and shooting JB blaster down it, it still wont budge.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Are you saying the bolt/axle won't come out?

Loosen the nut from the right side enough until the nut hangs off the bolt about 1 thread. Then tap out with a hammer (nut protects the threads). That should get the swingarm bolt/axle started. Work the swingarm up and down to loosen it up some more. Then use a hardwood dowel (to protect the thread) to continue to tap the bolt/axle through.

Loosening the motor mount on the left side a bit might help too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no luck beat on it with a 22 ounce hammer and it didnt budge. ill soak it in jb blaster and try again. crazy

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Bolt must be rusted tight. Blaster soak should work. Also try tapping the two spacers to loosen up as well (put wood between the spacer and hammer so you don't damage the spacers. Remember to loosen the motor mounts a bit so the spacers have room to move when tapped. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine mounts are off, engine is on my workbench getting broken down for a rebuild all thats left on the frame is the swing arm, once off its ready for the powder coater. ill soak it every day for a few days and try it again. I was afraid i was missing something, was afrai to beat on it with out double checking, dont want to damage anything. been using a piece of wood as a buffer too. Ill try the sacers too. your probably right rusted in, i dont think its ever been off the bike most of the bolts required some blaster to get off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts