Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've rebuilt the rear wheel of my '71 Daytona. It's not the original wheel, but was bought used, and there appeared to be some improvisations in the internal parts. It should all be factory spec now, but I find that when fitting it to the swing arm, I find that the space between he swing arms is about 5/16 inch greater than the distance between the axle nuts on either side ofthe wheel.

There were some spacer washers installed there when I removed the wheel, but no spacer washers show in any parts blowups I've seen.

Here's a pic:

http://bullfire.net/Triumph/SDC10034a.JPG

Any advice?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dave.

I already have the parts manual and a factory workshop manual, both of which I used to rebuild the wheel. I believe the wheel to be built correctly.

The problem is the gap between the wheel assembly and the swing arms. Neither the parts catalog nor the workshop manual show any spacers or washers going in there.

Measured distance between the swing arms is 7-7/8 inch.

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
I'm no expert but from the way that spacers seemed to be chucked in on triumphs, I'm sure that you could get one made and stick it in.

I assume that the wheel is narrower than the one that was formerly in the swing arm.

Maybe someone with the same year bike as you could measure theirs?

I'm in the process of polishing my (disc brake) hubs before sending them off for a rebuild and was surprised at how they are made in three parts - I assume that the width was changed by inserting a wider/narrower centre part as the bikes changed throughout the years

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi ed_h,
5/16" is not much of a gap and could be shimmed with a couple of washers, First fit your chain and line up the sprockets front&rear this will give you an idea which side of the wheel to fit the spacers, if the sprockets are in line but the wheel/tyre is too close to swinging arm you have a problem with the wheel offset and will have to be respoked or adjusted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I measured the swing arm on my 69 t100c and it is 7 7/8 also. So maybe the swing arm pulls in 5/16 when you tighten it down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So maybe there shouldn't be spacers in there, but on this bike, it looks like if there are no spacers on the left side that the brake backing plate will contact both the left swing arm and the end of the lower shock bolt.

Can some ou you guys check to see if your brake backing plate touches the swing arm and the shock bolt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts