Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the boxes of stuff I got with the bike, I had only one handle bar mounted lever and control. The wires coming from it are BL, BL/WHT, White and black. It appears to be a one way switch. Is this a Brake side or Clutch side? I need to know what to purchase.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is the left, Clutch, lever and switch housing. The two position flipper is the Hi/Lo switch. The other two buttons are for the headlight flasher (Passing light), and the horn.
Blue...................Headlight hot wire from the switch on of top the headlight shell
Blue/White..........Hi beam
Blue/Red.............Lo beam
White.................Horn and Passing light hot wire from Ign. switch
Purple/Black.........Horn

Alan.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That helps me a lot.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Call me the "village idiot", but for some reason, that looks like a r.h. switch assembly. I'm looking at the lever and its pivot. If it's the right side one, then the switch is for the turn signals and the upper button is the kill switch.

But, then again, I am the "village idiot": Jim

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
It sure looks like a R/H switchblock (horn,high-beam flash,dipswitch).It could be late '72 onward.
'71 had indicator switch on the R/H switchblock and dipswitch on the L/H switchblock.

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with the switches, and Lucas had a mind of their own, but if I was designing that switch, I'd either have the LUCAS logo on twice, so it fits either hand, or make a left handed one. That looks like a RHS to me

But we are talking about the Prince of Darkness.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Going by the wire colors, it is the switch for the headlight. There the only blue wires are for the headlight so that eliminates any kill switches and such.

I looked at several different OIF year wiring diagrams. Some show the headlight control on the left (lower left on the diagram) control pod and other on the right (upper left on the diagram).

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with the switches, and Lucas had a mind of their own, but if I was designing that switch, I'd either have the LUCAS logo on twice, so it fits either hand, or make a left handed one. That looks like a RHS to me

But we are talking about the Prince of Darkness.
Now there ya go applying logic to British motorcycles. You know better than that, Dave. ;)

I've seen the Lucas upside down on a number of bikes. Maybe even my '76. I'd have to go look to be sure.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
447 Posts
At least on my '71 Daytona, the Lucas logo is on the unit twice, so the alloy shell can be fitted to either side. There are differences in the internal switch configuration, though, and the wire colors.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, The 'Lucas" is written for either side mounting. The black switch only goes in one direction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe the same castings were used for either switch, just different guts inside. Therefor the switch/lever perch is interchangeable from side to side. Also if you're more comfortable with the dipper on the right, and turn signal on the left, you can go ahead and swap them around.

Alan.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Your switch may be different to the description below.
(650 export)
Also the colours may have faded.

Blue or blue/? wires are normally lighting.
Get a meter and check the connections AND colours.
The BLUE wire is the dip switch.
It will be either connected to the blue/white (main beam) or blue/red (dipped light) depending on whether the switch is up or down

This is the right-hand switch assembly, because it contains the front brake switch.

The WHITE goes to both of the push-buttons via an internal link, and also to the front brake switch...[the lever]
The BROWN is the other front-brake switch connection.

One button is the headlamp flash, so with the meter the white connects to blue/white when pushed.

The other button is the horn, purple/black.
Hence, when pushed the white connects to the purple/black.

This a lot easier to explain with the wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The switchblocks changed sides in late '72.The change wasn't shown in mauals until '73.
'71-'72 manuals show the dipswitch on the left handlebar.

The brake switch is not on the lever for drum-brake models;it's in the brake cable.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
The switchblocks changed sides in late '72.The change wasn't shown in mauals until '73.
'71-'72 manuals show the dipswitch on the left handlebar.

The brake switch is not on the lever for drum-brake models;it's in the brake cable.
In that case you only have blue/white (main beam), blue/red (dipped).
Purple/black (horn), white (live from ign sw pin 2) and blue (main-beam flasher) which goes to the pilot light switch.
IE if riding with only pilot light, the main-beam flasher is still available.
And it is indeed the left switch, clutch lever.

The switch internal arrangement is not shown on my diagram.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts