Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 70 frame that I'm going to be going rigid with. I like the cleaner look of the internal springs on the 71 and later forks as well as the duct on the front wheel hub. I can't imagine its a straight swap, that would be to easy. Is there a kit of some type to put the newer triple tree on the older frame or is it possible to put the newer forks in the 70 triple trees. I'm putting the bike together as I can afford it but I'd like to know what kind of parts I'll need in the future.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That swap will be ridiculously easy. It might not be straight across, but once you get it apart, you will see what you need to do. I put the front end off a 72 Bultaco Pursang on my 68 500 desert sled, in about 2 hours, with parts I had laying around.
That was about 20 years ago, so I don't remember exact details, but a six pack of good pale ale will get you started.

P.S. Although that big scoop looks cool on that brake, I think you will find your older tls binder actually works better.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ScotsRT, the fork legs on the 'conical' front end are machined parralell and do not have the taper so you will have to swap the trees as well.
There is also a difference in the spindle diameter and length from pre OIF to conical so you will have to do some work to find and fit steering bearings.
Check also the steering stops work ok so you don't bash the fuel tank on full lock. These stops screw out on the pre OIF bikes.
IF you want a front brake that works, pay attention to adjusting it properly, there are also longer operating arms available from www.themutznutz.com over here in England.
See if you can find the front end from a TR25 or B50 as some of these had alloy trees which polish up real well.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to bore out the bottom early yoke to accomodate the slightly larger in od 71/72 fork stanchions. I have a friend with this done on his chopper. If you really want to do it right, have the taper opened up on top, too. Both the pre-oif and oif drum forks have tapered tops. The disc forks have no taper and pinch bolts in both top and bottom yokes.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-01-28 19:40 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It's only easier because it's easier to find an OIF front end from a 650 than from a Trident. Sheer numbers and lower cost.

And as far as work, I'm self (under)employed, and some my work I do on the 'puter, and since most of my day is taken up by home remodeling...at least for the next month, I am around a lot. Plus I think and type fast.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I be here.

I have a T160 fork yoke set. Same diameter stem as other OIFs.....smaller than earlier forks. Needs the tophat bushes to go onto the earlier frames with the early type bearings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts